1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by magicmike, Feb 9, 2013.

1. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

Is a 300,000 liability insurance good to start out with? I wont be doing any major services like decking, patios or anything like that, just regular maintenance, aeration, stuff like that.

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

You need more. Not sure on insurance prices in new york but in ohio a couple million is less than $500. Shop around.

3. crichardson

crichardson LawnSite Member

i pay around 1200 for 1mil coverage, 5000 on equipment, and my truck insurance which is work and personal.

4. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

When you are running even just a maintenance Biz. A million dollar policy is the min. you can get by with. I say that because no Biz will hire you if you have less. Mine cost me $600.00 for 2 mil and $5,000.00 tools through American Family. And my truck commercial insurance runs $800.00 a year through Allstate. (Truck is older).
    Mine is based a lot on the smaller size of my Biz. No employees but me.

5. esmit108

esmit108 LawnSite Member

Joshua what company did you get it through? Thanks

6. HDLLandscaping

HDLLandscaping LawnSite Member

I am BRAND new and would be paying $750 a year for 1mil of Liability (covering a bunch of stuff)

7. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

who do you all get your insurance through?

8. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

i got just got insurance for 1million/2 million and 10,000 equipment for 610. Great price I think, another company wanted to charge me 1100 for half the coverage.

9. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I see some guys talk about equipment insurance wrapped up in the GL policy. Am I reading that correctly? Is that possible?

10. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

who did you go through?