Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by A&W LawnCare, May 21, 2013.

1. A&W LawnCare

A&W LawnCare LawnSite Member

I been in the lawn service business for three years. Filed my company name with the state and county, etc. My questions is insurance. Where I live the state does not require that I have a lenience since they classified what I do as maintenance. Should I carry insurance? Nothing I can find says I have to. All my customer know I don't an are ok with that. I have two new clients that are asking what type of insurance I carry. Has any one been in this situation? And how did you handle it. Thanks for you time and reply.
  2. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

YES, carry a commercial general liability policy. It's dirt cheap. But more than that, the first time you accidentally hit someone's vinyl siding or tree with a trimmer, or a fence with a mower, you'll be glad you have a policy. And those are the things very possible. Other things, like injuring someone are possible too - and is the real reason you carry it.'s very inexpensive for a small LCO.
  3. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

300 to 400 a year for general liability is nothing compared to what it would cost if you damage someones property and do not have insurance. I'd be getting on top of that one right now if i were you.
  4. Mountain State Home

Mountain State Home LawnSite Member

Its better to pay a small amount and have coverage, than to need coverage and not have it.

Most jurisdictions o businesses, at least where I am, require it to bid on any particular jobs.

Regardless, its to your benefit to have it and as mentioned its relatively cheap.
  5. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

can I ask how you go about getting general liability insurance?
  6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

on top of all of that, if you ever want to get into the commercial side you will definitely need some type of liability insurance.....

most insurance agencies can quote small business too.
  7. AlohaLawns

AlohaLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maui HI

Insurance is a must have. At least around here. I don't know of a condo association or commercial property who will let you step foot on it, without having it.
  8. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

Of course you should have insurance. It is part of doing business. 1 mistake on your part and the insurance will be all worthwhile