Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hickory, Jul 12, 2004.

1. hickory

hickory LawnSite Member

Out of all the landscapers (or so called landscapers) in your particular area, how many companies would you say have insurance? 50% 45%35%??

I would say around 40%.

State governments should make it a law stating that if you work on a property for hire, by law you must have liability insurance. This would weed out the low ball competitors & scrubs.
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Most commercial accounts require it so you can cross those guys off the list as having ins. Of the others left, I'd say 0. I found out last night that Trammell Crow requires 5 mil.
  3. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

I am getting insurance today.... General Liability Insurance but in this area for landscaping i would say 45% of company have it. For mowing like 20%.

Vance Trendov
    LV Lawn & Landscaping
  4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Here it's like 5 % to 10%
  5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Most city governments do require anyone performing work on properties to be insured but it's common law that the homeowner is responsible for establishing who is insured and who is not and the home owner can be held liable for any accidents, thus this would not get rid of the so called "scrubs". Every business from prostitution to gambling has some sort of scrub or people who work around the system. Move on, please do more scrub threads.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I couldn't really hazard a guess but this much I know for sure. I have it.
  7. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Around here, probably half of the services have the bare minimum business liability insurance. As for workers comp., and the like, I believe that number to be very low. Maybe 25%. As for business auto or fleet insurance, probably 25% -- 35%. All in all, a very sad state of affairs in our industry.....
  8. Johnson

Johnson LawnSite Member

If you want someone else living in your house after they sue you for your mower throwing a rock and hitting little Johnny then by all means..........................don't get insurance

I could not imagine not having it. I have a basic liability plan. It gives me such a peace of mind when I am out working.