insured/licensed for residential lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AutmgRt, Feb 22, 2001.

1. AutmgRt

AutmgRt LawnSite Member

Is it a good idea to be licensed and insured. With 20-30 mowing accounts. being I just getting starting out in lawn mowing service?
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I know this sounds dumb, but I could have sworn that I read a few responses on this post, but now I don't see any replies.
    Has anyone else noticed this, or am I imagining things? :)
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I know I responded once already. I don't think it had the word residential in it though. I think it just said insured/licensed. Oh great, the new guy has some "super moderator powers" or something! :rolleyes:
  4. larrv45390

larrv45390 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Yes Yes Yes!! Windows and paint jobs are not free. For $300 bucks a year i get 1 mill in insurance.
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

He must have deleted the thread, I had also replyed once also. Oh well.

Hey AutmgRt, if you need to change something click edit instead of delete, once you delete you erase all replys and we have to re-type our answers again.

To answer the question in a shorter manner - Yes & Yes, get both.
  6. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes,get most insurance you can afford.
    Last wife got into an accident,while carrying the trailer and equip.She will never be able to work in the biz. again.Our lawyer told here that her commercial auto policy sucked"and they pay 80% of her hospital bills which are upto $50,000 and still growing.Protect yourself,luckily she was alone or we may be living at the "Y.M.C.A".
  7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a guy that talked to his insurance agent and his cpa, they told him not to bother with insurance if he was not going to do it for a liveing. He wants 8-15 jobs a week only.
  8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad they aren't my CPA and insurance agent...any agent in his right mind WOULD recommend insurance! All it takes is a split second...and anything can happen! Is it worth it to lose everything you have? Even if you're doing 8-15 jobs weekly...any extra money you were making from that would be gone including your other "income".

You want to chance it? That's your own decision, but were forewarned!

That's why it's called insurance!

P.S. Insurance is just a cost of doing and being in business. It also makes you legit!
  9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I would find a new agent and accountant ASAP!

Bad advice in my opinion. If you hit a car, run over an AC unit, or throw a rock and hit someone, it will not matter if you have 1 or 50 yards nor will it matter if your doing it for "a living" or a hobby. You will be responsible and will be paying out of your pocket.
  10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Who would work without lic/ins? Not me. It just makes sense. My commerical properties would not even consider me without proof of both. Isn't it a law that you must be at least licenced? Commerical ins is rather expensive but I would think it would be more expensive to be w/o it. You may never have to use it but there could be that ONE time. These are just two of the things that separate us from the scrubs,right?