Insured Pro's Wanted

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn DOG, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

I have a marketing idea that would benefit all that want to participate. I know how we always stress how important insurance is and how it sets us apart from the others but how about something to back it up. Here is my idea. I want to put together an educational flyer or brochure to give to target accounts that we are focusing on. I need the help of my fellow members to find articles about uninsured people who get injured or cause an injury or damage property while peforming jobs for residential and commercial customers. It would be helpful if these articles had details such as how much these customers ended up being sued for. Face it, we pay for insurance and like to stress the importance of having it. Imagine how powerful of a selling point this would be. Somethimg to back it up. I can't think of anything better than someone elses nightmare. All those interested please leave a reply. I will share any information with anybody that wants it. Please help me with this project.
  2. Lawn DOG

Give me a private message with your address and fax# if you have one. I will make copies of all articles and send them to anyone that wants one.

I know you guys read the paper!
  3. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

About 8 years ago a major contractor subbed out some work to a small crane contractor. This was on a highway project, the crane fell over and killed a driver of a car sitting at a stop light. Guess what? NO INSURANCE! It cost the major contractor 25 millon dollars plus court costs!
    I believe that this can also happen to the property owner also.(If I were to throw a rock out and injure someone, and I wasn't insured, then I think they can go after the home owner. (going after the money))
    That in itself should scare the daylights out of anybody.
  4. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

That is a good idea. Why don't we try to make better regulations and laws for our industry. Try to make it harder for every Tom, Dick and Harry to get into the industry. Or set ourselves apart from the rest.
  5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see it now ... you can't buy that offroad diesel for your mower unless you show me your license, buddy.

I for one do not think that more regulations are the answer. How about more code enforcement to back up the regs that are already in place?

I do think it's a good idea to put something like this together, though.
  6. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

Wow that is a really good idea Lawn GOD!

I wouldnt think adding more laws and regulations would stop anyone from scrubbing. It would just make our lives harder!

I think we should form a union.
    I can see it now all the union members picketing infront of a scrubs lawn! hehe. We are the people that make up this industry, why shouldnt we have direct control over it? Just an idea!
  7. i think that this would be a good idea, definatley. um, over here about 2 years ago or so, a guy got his foot cut off by a cable that got caught in a chipper. the chipper didnt cut the foot off, the cable cut it off. well a kid who i used to know, his grandmother was the nextdoor neighbor to the place that the guy got hurt at. however i think the cable belonged to the grandmother however. so the kid's father was being sued for 5,000,000 dollars. um, i would try to if you are gonna do this put together some form of hypothetical scenario, also try to get in touch with some local insurance companies and get some feedback from them as well as some other local contractors, and other people, they will normally have some horror stories for you.
  8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that being insured should be a major selling point. I still think, however, that alot of residentials do the old "it won't happen to me thing..."
    Just today I heard a local radio add from a sprinkler design/supply place. they talked about all the benefits of a well designed system and how good it was for the grass...they finished the commercial by saying "hire the neighborhood kid to mow for you and you are all set..."
    My thought...until that kid gets hurt or hurts someone else, but I think most homeowners don't care to think about it. This bringing insurance to the attention idea is a good one, it seperates the true businesses from the "acting serious but just waiting to blame someone else for my mistakes" crowd.
  9. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i don't know about you guys but-the way my insurance agent explained it to me was : "i" as an individual was not insured for any bodily harm incurred when working on a clients property.the insurance was for damage or bodily harm to the client or others. if i was hurt on the property the homeowners insurance policy covers the commercial auto policy also does not cover any bodily injury( PIP or personal injury protection)only injury to others.
  10. Lawn DOG

Your insurance maybe just that. Do you have Workmans Compensation?