insured

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, May 28, 2001.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

i am 15 do i need to be insured and all that other stuff i have 15 accounts about and gross about 9,000 a year

2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

More than likey, YES. You need to check your local government about licensing requirements. Or you can be a scub and not bother with any of that stuff.

3. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

I think at your age your parents would need to have an insurance policy since they are responsible for you.

4. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

There is sure alot of scrubophobics here on lawnsite.

5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

LoneStarLawn...

Sorry, I'm NOT afraid of scrubs, I just don't like how they operate.

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

some may hate me for this, but I'll say this.

For what its worth, look at what most 15 years old are doing these days. Playing sony play station 2, playing hooky from school because of a day of morning for 2 pac shakur, joining cults, getting into gang fights, having kids, shooting fellow classmates, etc. etc. etc.

This is how pothetic our world has come. Here, is a 15 year kid who is busting his balls after school (at least I assume you aren't skipping school to mow grass :) ) instead of all of this other 'devious stuff', and here we all telling him that he needs to spend $1000 a year as 'punishment' for wanting to work. As a 15 year older would say, "what up wit that"

I say, take the chance for now. Work and keep the money for yourself. Take your sweetheart on a nice date, or put the money in a savings account towards a nice new truck that all your frieds will be envious of, and that you DESERVE.

Later down the road, however, think about getting some insurance. Untill then, keep the money, you deserve it.

steveair

7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Seems like he would be the one to ask, as some have said here, it's his wallet someone could be tryin to get into if something were to happen.

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

we'llll ....look at it this way .....if you have a vehicle to bring your stuff around ......you have insurance than don't you ( mom & dad's policy) ......

I mean what'ssss the worst that could happen .....you may need it .....but let's say you DON'T have it ....it's not like YOUR going to suffer .......your mom & dad WILL ....but YOU won't

say you knock out a simple window ....no problem pay out of pocket ......but break a water spiket on the side of a house or kick a rock in someones face ....and hey your mom & dad can help on weekends :->

9. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok,

what I am saying is this.....

WHY PUNISH YOUNG PEOPLE FOR WORKING.

If you ask me, it should be like the law system is....you can't be tried as an adult untill you are 18. After that age, then yes, insurance.

Side notes:

First, If you are a homeowner and are hiring a 15 year old to mow your grass, then SHOULDN'T you have some understanding of the circumstances.

Secondly, if you are a serious 40 year old contractor who's been in the business for 15 years, what the hell are you worried about a 15 year old kid for? Is he competition? If he is, then I would say you have some deeper issues.

Do we all forget what it was like to be 15 here?

steveair

10. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for all th replies I do bust my bought after schol everyday cutting grass i give large portion of my social life away. i have knocked out some other LCOs out there but i didnt even know what they were cutting there grass for and i gave a fair price some people say im more expensive. After 2 years in this buisness i have gotten all comeercila equipment except for a bush trimmer so you guys know that im paying alot of expesises except for a truck and trailer but i am plaining on getting somthing for hauling my equipment.

the bottm line is that i am working hard and making a **** load of money for myself i think and i happy with it but i dont mind being legal i just dont want to do anything ilegal