Insuring driver's under 21!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LP, Mar 8, 2003.

1. LP

LP LawnSite Member

Our local insurance company will not insure driver's on our commercial vehicles unless they are 21 or above, is this standard practice or do I just have a picky ins. company?
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Well Im 18 and I have a commercial auto insurance policy for my business. My policy is through Eric Insurance Co.
  3. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

I think as a whole, Insurance companies are "crackig down" on drivers that they consider to be HIGHER RISK . I had two of my drivers excluded from driving my trucks. Ironically, I myself was cancelled because of a speeding ticket. (put two current on my record). I also had them raise some questions about a driver that is in early fifties and has not had anything major on his record in 9 years.

So, in conclusion, The insurance companies are trying to make a profit by cutting all losses.. Make sense??
  4. LP

LP LawnSite Member

You're post is an identical version of what my agent expressed to me, Who do you have insurance with? How do you think these big companies are coming up with all of these perfect drivers, or do you think these guy's are self insured or what, this makes things very hard!!!!
  5. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

LP, You brought a good point. Where are these companies getting these perfect guess is that they are not.
  6. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

For the most part if you have a Commercial insurance policy. It will exclude anyone that is under 21. Remember guys Commercial means CDL. You can only get a CDL license if you are 21 or older.

How many here have CDL endorsement.

I the State of KY if you have commercial plates and the trailer has a commercial tag. You better have a CDL licenses
  7. LP

LP LawnSite Member

No cdl's required here until you reach a certain gvw or depending on what your hauling, on our trucks the gvw is around 12000 which requires no cdl.
  8. Here in CA, it's 21 but the hard to insure. Most companies want a 25 year old or older person to insure.

I know that my dad & uncle had a heck of a time putting me as a driver of their vehicles when I was working for them back when I was a little tyke. Part of the reason I went on my own over 21 years ago.

Now I have to deal with this all the time. Most of our new workers are mostly under 25