intake

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by s and s mowing, Nov 23, 2004.

1. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

terry,which kohler have the plastic intake,i put a canister filter on my lazer nd now know it has a plastic intake, is this bad,d i need to change it,have ya had any problems related to this.my dealer instaled mine,and the kit come from kohler.some have said all 27 have the plastic intake,i this true????????

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

S and S,

I did a little checking but it's tough getting through to Kohler...........people gone for the holiday and such.........but I did find out a little. Most of the "standard" filter engines now have plastic intake manifolds. This actually is a good thing in my opinion. Some of the plastics hold up pretty well in some pretty extreme situations. Where they have a weekness in some cases is structural strength. This is the issue with adding a canister air filter. The intake will probably support the filter however the concern is if you bang the filter on a tree, fence etc. The aluminum will simply take a bigger beating in this application. Kohler recommends that you replace the intake as well when adding a canister air filter.

Thanks

Terry

3. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

a lttle updATE for the intake in case im not only one,after much discussion i decided to change as kohler recommends. now i have a good dealer but for me it was a no brainer,intake was less than a 100.00 buck and is done on my engine,but kohler did not send thicker gasket that is required so carb wont hit intake,so we wait till monday to finish im havibg dealer install the better oil drain while there.now that i have seen intake,i probaly wouldnt change now.that is one heavy duty plastic,probaly as stout as alum,but i doe what kohler said.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

S and S,

When you consider warranty and the cost of a replacement engine this one may fall under the "better safe than sorry" philosophy.

Thanks

Terry