Intek Pro 6.75hp, Kawasaki 6hp, or Robin 6hp?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Paul in Maryland, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Paul in Maryland

Paul in Maryland LawnSite Member

Which engine would you choose for an Ariens or Gravely commercial 21 that will be be used for bagging and mulching?

Which has the most torque? The least? The Robin EH18V is rated at 9.3 ft-lb @2700 rpm. Briggs doesn't post torque figures; this page says the 6.75hp Intek has 7.6 ft-lb. That would give the Robin a 22% advantage. The Robin also weighs more (38 lb. vs. 30).

I cut only my own lawn. It's large but flat. (Don't try to talk me into a wider mower; I like the exercise!)

2. Paul in Maryland

The Kawasaki 6hp FJ180V OHV engine is rated at 8.7 ft-lb; the specs don't state at what rpm this figure is reached.

3. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

I've got a Snapper with the FJ180V Kawasaki engine. I would pick the Kawasaki unless the Robin was less expensive. The Kawasaki engine is probably easier to get parts for, more people are trained to work on it (not that it requires much attention :weightlifter: ), it's a pretty bullet-proof design. Just my opinion.

4. Paul in Maryland

Throwing caution to the wind, I nabbed this Robin-equipped Ariens pro 21 pusher on eBay for $499 + $100 shipping. It's a brand-new 2004 model (left-over stock).

Funny: In 2006 and 2007, I've gone back to 2004 to get exactly what I wanted:

- 2004 to get a new Ariens/Gravely with a Robin engine.
    - 2004 to get a used Ford Focus with an automatic and a Mazda 2.3L engine. (After 2004, Ford limited the 2.3 to Focuses with a 5-speed manual.)
    - 2004 to get a used Fuji pocket digicam that could shoot in RAW mode.