Interest on late payments??

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by 66Construction, Feb 4, 2001.

1. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

I was wondering what kind of interest to charge for late payments and at what point to charge it. One of my commercial customers hasn't payed a bill they recieved over 40 days ago. I talked to the property manager two weeks ago and he said he approved the bill. They just seem to be taking their time cuting me a check. The last time I called him he said he would look into it and call me right back. It's been 4 days.
  2. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Good Morning,
    I think here in N.Y. you can only charge 2 or 21/2 percent a month! I am not 100% sure though.
    Find out more info on Monday and let you know.
  3. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

Thanks Mike, I'll check back monday.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I ask my accountant this question a few weeks ago. He told me that I can charge 1.5%. Anyway,I'm charging 2% a month for late fees.
  5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Each state has its own regulations regarding the amount that you are allowed to charge as late penalties & fees. Bob, I'd also ask your accountant what the penalty is if the state (or a knowledgable customer reports you) catches you over charging to see if it is worth the extra .5%.
  6. T-MAN

T-MAN LawnSite Member

Hey 66, just a thought for next years contracts. Consider a
    3% discount for payment within 7 working days. I've used this successfully with my construction company on T.M. contracts and they usually like it to. And I work the 3% in to the profit and overhead margin, so no loss on my part. Also I dont have to wait 60 to 90 days for my money. The bigger companys ussually love this as ANY savings to them is a good thing.