Interested in your thoughts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bumper, May 14, 2006.

1. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

Landscape and irrigation job we finished a few months back and just returned to do some maintenance on this relatively young landscape.
    Slope is 4/12 run, heavy clay soil, 5 station system, with all rainbird spray heads on 12" sch 80 risers and roughly 1100sq. ft.. We did the wall and the Plant material includes Huechera, Penstemon, Margarita BOP, shrub roses, Lamonium, Anigozanthus, Yellow Wave, Nandina, Leptospermum, Marigolds Lobelia and Arctotis with Myoporum for ground cover....what ya think??..if wrong forum, don't shoot me, I'll move it :hammerhead:

P1010020.JPG

P1010019.JPG

P1010017.JPG

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I won't critique the landscape because that is not my job. I will however say that exposed PVC in Sunny So Cal is a horrible idea....Not to mention ugly.

With that heavy clay soil, and the fast precipitation rates of the spray nozzles, you will have run off problems.

I would have either dripped it, or used BURIED sprinklers (12" pop rotors if I could get away with it or maybe a slower precipation nozzle on a spray body like the MP Rotator.) with BURIED pipe. That install looks like a home depot home owner did it.

Is the entire thing 3/4"?

Sorry, I don't mean to be harsh.

EDIT:

Wheres the mulch? Mulch helps break down the heavy clay soil over time, and holds moisture in the ground...plus it slows weed growth.

3. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Paint the pipes dark or to blend with mulch. Yea, where is the mulch anyway?

4. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

The danger in trenching a 4/12 slope was enough to push us toward UVR or Brown Line we call it,,uv resistant...the ground cover will eventually cover all the exposed pipe....the run times worked well when the landscape was brand spankin new....4 minutes station 1,2 2 minutes station 3,4, and 4 minutes station 5, 5 a.m. 6 a.m. 7 a.m....as you can see the roots have take hold and we just cut back the run time to 4 minutes per station 4 days a week. No run off....we did the calcs PR and soil....by end of summer the UVR will be covered thinly by plant material. Ya don't mulch when ground cover is used !!..where the Marigolds and Jack spratt is planted we used mulch to blend with the wall...yes..all 3/4 " UVR Sch. 40..we barely had enough psi to pop the last head.

5. Dirty Water

Here is a trencher that works safely on 4/12 slopes:

[​IMG]

I would have never even considered exposed pipe an option. I'm glad you went with UV Resistant, though usually that is grey here.

6. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Classic Dirtywater moment...
    Until you get some groundcover actually covering, mulch the CRAP out of it. Pinebark, hardwood, whatever (except the RED junk). Trench shovels do come in handy as well...

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure you're anticipating that the ground cover and other plant materials will eventually hide the above ground piping. I'm with Jon that other sprinklers which work better with slopes would have been more appropriate. What about "low head drainage" also?

8. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

:) :) you did not think we considered a mechanical trencher did ya? Interesting..on slope landscape, at least here..it is common practice and encouraged to lay down UVR with risers.

9. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

Check valves

10. Dirty Water

Well, I guess thats nice. Up here we hand dig if we can't get a machine in safely. If the client is cool with it, ok, but the only times you see that here is with amatuer's.

[​IMG]

Hard to tell, but I see no checkvalve there. I see two marlex ells I think.

Wheres the mulch?