Interesting article on trees

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jan 23, 2009.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I found this article interesting. Thought I'd share. We have some serious issues with the beetle infestation here in Colorado. Summit County has been devastated by it. We need some frigid, harsh, long winters to help kill the beetles. (the bugs, not the band)

Report: Warming cuts trees' life in half
    The death rate of woods in the West may also contribute to less carbon being trapped.
    By Jennifer Brown
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 01/23/2009 12:30:00 AM MST
    Updated: 01/23/2009 12:57:29 AM MST

The life span of trees in the western United States has been cut in half, and the likely cause is climate change, according to the most extensive research yet on the life span of pines, firs and hemlocks.

The death rate of trees in Colorado, California and the Pacific Northwest has more than doubled since 1955 as warmer temperatures have led to less moisture and severe drought, according to a paper published today in the journal Science.

Life span of trees

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We don't see the problem on the west side of the Cascade Mtns., but once you get into Idaho and Montana, it's real obvious.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im in favor of eradicating the bugs and the band.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  5. Mike Leary

Interesting, I did not know about the Birch problem.:cry:

6. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Over the last two years I lost 11 trees to the beetle. Most of them immediately around the house. It leaves a painful hole.

7. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea that does suck. We've been hit hard by the Emerald Ash borer. Basically it has killed every Ash tree in our surrounding counties and throughout the state. It's on the move to the east coast I believe. You can get into trouble moving around firewood if it's Ash.

I understand there is another bug (microscopic size) that is killing pines just south and west of Michigan that is moving west. Once under the cambium(sp?) there is no treatment to eradicate it. The wind moves them from tree to tree.

*trucewhiteflag*

8. TRILAWNCARE

TRILAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

These people from Michigan got busted trying to haul fire wood through Iowa.

9. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice follow up trigger!

10. Mike Leary

They have "log cops" at the Canadian border, too; no wood allowed, period.