Interesting Comment on Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Sep 19, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I had another farmer loading and spreading chicken litter on my fields today.

He has a farm with four chicken houses and a great deal of grass to mow. I was mowing in some big areas with the Hustler Super Z as fast as it would run.

I rode up to talk with him a minute and he got off the Bobcat loader and walked up to me and said, " I wanted to see what in the devil you were mowing with, I've never seen anything cut grass that fast in my life, my brother and I were watching and saying there is no way that thing can be cutting the grass moving that fast".

He then said "I use a Scag Turf Tiger and that thing makes it look like I am tied to a stump, you can't be getting a good cut, I don't believe the blades can keep up". I said stand on the edge of the deck and hold on, we will see if you think it can cut grass that fast". I took him over to where I was cutting and there was absolutely nothing left anywhere but cut grass. I had just changed the blades before I started and it was getting everything at 15 mph.

There was no grass left to cut but I told him to get on the mower and turn it loose on a 500' straight run where I had mowed. He took off slowly and got a little feel then opened her up, he made his run and got back to where I was standing and said "that is unbelievable, if my Scag would run that fast I could not stay in the seat to use the speed". He then said "I believe your mower would cut my mowing time 30% or more and I still can't believe it cut the grass that good running that fast".

I told him the newly sharpened blades were doing a very good job but the height I was mowing at really made the difference, then I said "if I was mowing taller grass at 3 1/2" I would have to slow down a great deal to get a half way decent cut". This mower is very productive at lower cutting heights and fast speed.

2. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

So pp, how much is Hustler paying you for this? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

j/k :dancing:

3. puppypaws

This is stated facts as was told by an individual that owns a Scag Turf Tiger. Hustler does not need any false publicity to sell their mowers and if you don't believe a Hustler Super Z is more productive than a Scag Turf Tiger go put them side by side and see which one cuts the most grass in the shortest period of time.

I got a good feeling you already know the answer to that one.

4. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

have you gotten the xr-7 deck to cut really good? i guess you have the update kit and everything but does it cut like you think it should at 3" and higher?

5. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Relax pp. I was just kidding (that's what j/k means)

I like and run hustlers so you don't have to sell me. I'd figured I give your thread a bump since you posted last night and nobody responded.

Good night sir and make sure you check on the chickens before you turn off the lights :laugh:

6. puppypaws

I'm old enough to figure those string jerker's out but it also gives me a chance to put another plug in for my company.

Oh, by the way the chickens all died Monday night...

7. puppypaws

My XR-7 does an excellent job cutting up to 3" and anything above that does not suit my application. I know it will not give a good cut at 3 1/2" or more especially at the fast speed I like to run but that does not interest me. I like to cut low and fast, we have been discussing a Super Z that will run 20 mph. I am not saying you could cut that fast but I would like to try at that speed just so I could see for myself what it was like.

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

We are kind of limited on mower selection here. Its mostly either exmark, scag, or snapper.

Snapper pro is coming out with new mowers in a couple months. I really like what I see so far. They sell hustler in savannah but thats too far to have to go for mower parts. Its an hour away. I really wish we had more options on mowers around here.

9. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

20mph? Are you saying that you are wondering if Z could do good at that speed or there is one that goes that fast. I'm interested to see because i got a dixie and it gets things done fast i just care about productivity and quality of cut.

10. puppypaws

There is just talk at this point of a 20 mph mower. I personally cut at the same 15 mph speed you do with a Dixie Chopper and I have been cutting in places I wanted to push the sticks a little farther.

Does the Dixie give a good cut at 15 mph, when you are trying to cut grass at 3 1/2" and above I'm not sure any mower could give a real clean cut at that speed. The lower cutting heights my mower does an excellent job, is that what you find with your Dixie Chopper?