1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Interesting Demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by woodall1, Sep 23, 2006.

1. woodall1

woodall1 LawnSite Member
    from Eden NC

I stopped by my local Exmark dealer and he said he had a good deal for me. He shows me a 2005 Exmark Viking 48" / 15 HP KAW. The mower had never cut grass but showed a little wear from the sun and bumps and scraps from moving it around. So I decide to demo the unit. I pull it off the trailer and fire it up. I make aprox. 4 passes and she lets put a small puff of white smoke. I pay no real attention to it until the next pass. She lets out a massive white mushroom cloud that would rival a nuclear blast. I shut it down and scratch my head. I look at the dip stick and the engine oil is white. Nice, its full of gas! So I take it back and they find a busted diaphragm on the fuel pump. Nothing against Exmark, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I did buy a Toro Proline today. 44", 17 HP KAW, floating deck, bagger, electric start and 225 hours. I picked it up for $1800. I was not really looking for a new mower since it would sit over the winter and not pay for itself, but I felt like it was a good deal.
  2. MO TOYS

MO TOYS LawnSite Member

sounds to me like a freak mower lol exmark is a truely quality mower in my opinion
  3. woodall1

woodall1 LawnSite Member
    from Eden NC

I agree. I have nothing against Exmark, I'm just scared of that particular mower now. I demo'ed a 66" liquid cooled 28 hp a few weeks ago and it was a sweet machine. The top end speed was unreal. It seemed like it would run 20 mph. It will dust my 20 HP Z master.
  4. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Hate to burst your bubble my friend but....

1)Exmark doesn't make the engine, Kawasaki does. How is that Exmark's Fault??

2)The mower YOU DID purchase , uses the SAME EXACT fuel pump that failed on the Exmark mower you demo'd.

:laugh: :dizzy: :waving:
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a bit confused. You demo one machine, and then buy a machine thats somewhat different. Did you get want you wqanted or needed or was it just a splurge purchase?
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think maybe he was disappointed they tried to pawn off a used machine on him that hadn't been checked out very well.

He actually did say "nothing against Exmark" in the same sentence. Ha.

That sounds like a great price on that Toro. If I could find a good condition one like that I'd buy it. I am shocked at how expensive toro's floating deck mowers with nice engines are these days. Small ztr's are in the same ballpark now.

My rule of thumb on a used belt drive mower is to pay so little that even if you have to replace the engine you still are well under the cost of a new one. The other parts are relatively cheap to replace.

My 44" needs engine work now and if it had the ability to mulch and proper antiscalp wheels like newer models I'd consider re-engining it. Instead I'll get the carb work done and use it as a backup.
  7. CLawnC

CLawnC LawnSite Member
    from NH

Toro and Exmark are basically the same company. Toro owns Exmark.
  8. Lawnsmithcare

Lawnsmithcare LawnSite Senior Member

Toro and exmark are the same thing.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

a busted diaphram is not something that would come up in your normal daily checks....you said it yourself youran 4 passes until something manifested itself. so if they run the machine in and out of the shop each day, it may never show...Heck if the price right I'd buy, its still under warranty...