Interesting Find

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Jul 1, 2013.

  1. 1idejim

    1idejim LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 9,303

    The 14 ga wiring was eliminated without question in the first few minutes.

    Testing all pointed toward the multistrand.
    Posted via Mobile Device
     
  2. irritation

    irritation LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,221

    Wired rain sensor only tied into one of the commons.
     
  3. 1idejim

    1idejim LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 9,303

    No sensor and bypass selected at the clock.
    Posted via Mobile Device
     
  4. jcr4au

    jcr4au LawnSite Member
    Posts: 47

    Multiple valves run on one control wire?
     
  5. 1idejim

    1idejim LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 9,303

    Most clocks will support 2 valves and a MV.

    When multiple valves are wired in parallel the resistance will be equally divided between the solenoids.

    Valves wired in series will measure the sum of all solenoids.
    Posted via Mobile Device
     
  6. jbell36

    jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS
    Posts: 1,279

    my next guess will be #4 common tied into #5...

    No? ok, i'll get working on my next guess..
     
  7. 1idejim

    1idejim LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 9,303

    I said that this was an interesting find, i didn't say that it made total sense. Here goes:

    I eliminated the nos. 1 & 2 stations because they measured within range, shared continuity with only themselves and passed the short to earth measurements.

    That left me with 6 stations to work with.

    When testing the resistance on both commons to the stations i was just looking for a break in continuity, what i got was a series of measurements that made me think taking a late Sunday afternoon gig may not have been as much fun as i thought it would be.

    I separated the commons and tested each against the terminal strip and got continuity on both commons to all stations. Now i am really thinking this job was a bad idea.

    I labled the commons, counted the wires coming into the clock and the used wires and come up with 11 separate valves on the multi runs. 1 + 1 + 11 = 13 valves on 8 stations.

    I wrote all of the measurements down for each station in relation to their common (those i posted) and started shaking my head.

    3-7-8 seemed to be either the problem or the result of the problem with 100 ohms on com 1 and near 60 ohms on com 2

    4-5-6 seemed pretty close to ganged pairs on com 1 but spread to a 50+ ohm difference on com 2.

    Since all of the measurements were pretty much out of the ordinary i began looking for either a pattern or a break in pattern.

    Station 6 broke the pattern. I had a wider range than the others, was the only station with a single wire and i just felt that since i have to start somewher i may as well start with 6.

    I took the battery out of the clock (it was fairly new) and started bumping the stations with it.

    1 & 2 were front yard rotors and functioned well.

    3 was in the front yard on the south of the drive. 2 zones ganged at the clock, bumped them separate and together. Worked well.

    Repeted this on 4 & 5 with the same results.

    When i bumped 6 only 1/2 of the zone watered. The owner was there to tell me what was going on.

    7 & 8 worked well but i couldn't bump both valves on either at the same time.

    I found the VB's with the station 6 valves in them. One of them was a valve that i located previously. The HO repaired the valve and wired it in series and since it was on a single wire that ran through it, it was easy to ID.

    While i was rewiring the valve i rewired all of the splices in the box.

    That is when i found the 3rd common and it supported valves for stations 3-7-8.

    Went to the controller and fired all of the stations manually from the clock.

    I then did something stupid and set up a test program, ran it and did not erase any of the programs.

    Freaking thing kept starting over. When i called to see if it worked ok the HO said she shut it down after the second cycle. I stopped by and reset the clock and all is well.

    I don't know why the system did not work at all before i fooled with it, why it worked afterwards, why i got lucky if i did.

    That is the story, i am sticking to it. BTW there wound up being 14 valves
    Posted via Mobile Device
     
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  8. 1idejim

    1idejim LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 9,303

    As an afterthought

    3= 12
    4=10
    5=18
    6=12
    7=16
    8=16

    When i measured the stations with the commons connected and my DMM no longer hummed on 6-7-8.

    Station 6 was split between 2 VBs and one of them was the closest to the controller.
    Posted via Mobile Device
     
  9. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 47,302

  10. jbell36

    jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS
    Posts: 1,279

    i mean, i guess i was on the right track...

    this system sounds like a nightmare
     

Share This Page