Interesting NEW LCO I bumped into 2 day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, May 26, 2006.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am drinking my coffee and I see a pick up with ONE commercial mower in it. Out pops three guys around 22-25 years old. They go in for coffee, I go out to look at the equipment. They come running like I am about to steal it LOL. I strike up a conversation, get their hand written business card and ask questions.

They have been in the biz for a whole 3 weeks. No insurance. Not registered. Not licenced. Didn't know if their blower was a two stroke or four. Three guys, one mower, one blower and one trimmer. VERY NICE guys. They have 10 homes to do. They mow a 2 acre property with the one mower $120 per cut and, according to them, it takes 4 hours to do ($10 bucks per hour each, minus gas, travel time, smokes and coffee so maybe $3 bucks an hour).

I offered some advice and offered to give them 3 very good paying customers that live closer to them to help them out. Not sure how long they will last but they were really nice guys.

Anyway, I took a trip down memory lane with em.

Oh, they hit a water main and had to take the mower in for service, they were down 2 hours and out 170 bucks for it. No back up mower.

2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

They will last long. Did you give them this web site? If so they will survive as long as the read and learn. You should be proud of yourself that you helped instead of being a jerk. Some people don't realize that if you help beginners it makes everyones life easier and your wallet thicker by keeping prices where they should be. I will take heat for this I'm sure.

3. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

I admire you for helping out new guys that are a little ignorant. I'm only in my second year of business out on my own, but I got my start by working for a landscaping company while in high school.

I've learned a lot, and I've still got a long ways to go--but everyone has to start somewhere, and I'm doing my best to run a legit, professional operation.

A postive thread for once...this is excellent!

4. guven

guven LawnSite Member

you are so funny, Yes If I keep visiting this site I will never go out of business. I was thinking how I was lucky to found this site. with out it I am nothing .
    Have a good day.
    thanks

5. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Do I sense some sarcasm?
    This sight does truly help I don't think I would be as big as I am now with out it.

6. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

So, it cost them $84 for gas, travel time, smokes and coffee? How far did they drive for the job, what kind of coffee were they drinking and what brand of cigarettes were they smoking? Because $84 seems way off for those 4 items unless they commuted a couple of hours to get to the job.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

3 of them would get you fairly close if they were at Starbucks.

8. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Lets try that again. 3 guys x $10/hr = $30. $30 x 4 hours = $120.

I did ask them how much they would charge for a house WE do across the road from the coffee shop and they estimated it at a higher number than what we charge (a good thing). I told them to stick it out and that there was plenty of work to go around. I offered them the broker for insurance $60 month and to register the biz. I'm sure they will be fine.

9. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

LOL damn.. I would never go into a business like this with a friend who I'd have to split $ with, and with only 10 yards, I'd be solo..

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ok well this isn't to say they will succeed, but they have the largest possible factor in their favor: they are charging "the going rate" or more it sounds like. Thats an awesome start I don't care if they don't know jack about anything else at least they're not lowballing and running theirself outta business and makin everything worse for you and others. Amazing that they are charging enough much less possibly more than other established LCO's.

But whats odd is how they came to the conclusion to charge that much LOL... who cares they're on the right track. And you did the right thing to talk to them and help 'em out!