Interesting Observation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ExcaliburLawnCare, Sep 26, 2007.

1. ExcaliburLawnCare

ExcaliburLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from MI

Since 1999, I have been using an Exmark walk behind and have absolutely enjoyed it. I would every so often get complimented by another LCO that I would run into shooting the bull about equipment and such. I recently just purchased a Deere Quick-Trak in order to speed things up a little bit. I do not receive any compliments by LCOs now but my customers are ecstatic over John Deere. One even said that I now have a good quality machine! (Like I did not have one before) As I said in another post, the Deere name seems to carry alot of clout when it come to my older customers.

My question to you guys is this: What has been your customers' perspective on equipment. Such as...Do some seem to slough off a cut not so good but with a perceived quality machine whereas a machine that they are not familiar with does a better job. Moreover, would a job done not so well with a perceived or actual quality mower be more disappointing to either you or the client. Like if I had a Timex and it crapped out on me I would not be as disappointed as if my Breitling Bentley (Best watch ever made) would.

This is just something I want would like to hear some feedback on, since it tends to delve into client psychology and therefore marketing strategy.

2. ExcaliburLawnCare

ExcaliburLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from MI

3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have had several people say that Gravely has been around forever and there grandpa had one yada yada.

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll give you a free bump. I totally agree with you. When I first started, I used homeowner equip and the customers were VERY familiar with the brands, except Echo and Stihl and Shindy, which I had a few of for edging and trimming and other things. When I realized I was at a point the homeowner rider wasn't going to keep up with the demand, not to mention it did break down a h$ll of a lot, I bought commercial z's, and wb's. They had never heard of Toro or Scag ever. They thought is was a downgrade on my part and thought that I had purchased cheaper equipment to continue operating.

5. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I'm a Deere fan myself, so my opinion is a little bias. Although I will have to say that my two first choices when I was getting into this business were Scags and Grass Hopper. I decided to go with John Deere because I knew that they were a good machine from farming experience and the fact that my private financier was willing to pay for the John Deere. I haven't been the least bit sorry!

All I can say about customer response, is that every comment that I have ever heard has been positive. Either about having a quality machine, expensive machine ( related to "must make a lot of money"), or "we just love the job you do" (whether it is connected to the John Deere or not).

The only other brand that I have tried to compare against the John Deere was an Ex-mark front mount. I personally didn't like the machine because it sounded like it was falling apart, it didn't have the power even though it had a smaller deck compared to the same HP, and the cut was awful compared to what I was used to.

6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I have people stop to talk to me because they see the new big Deere tractor on the trailer and on more than one occasion it has lead to a good deal of work for me.

7. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

around here people can see somebody pulling around 2 john deere riders homeowner grade and people think they got the best equipment. then again alot of people in this area think that john deere just dont make them like they used too. if people ever ask what kind of equipment i have sitting on my trailer i tell them what it is and say if there was anything better then i would have gotten it. i say its the top of the line and nothing else will give a prettier cut. those that dont bieleve will bieleve as soon as i mow for them. and if an old man accross the road thinks a deere cuts better than an exmark ultracut then when i get through mowing he can see its better and if he cant then hes either blind or doesnt know what to look at to be able to tell. thats how deeres cut in my area. im not trying to degrade your equipment in any way. but it does make me want to take it all apart sand it smooth paint it then color sand it and slap a ton of clear coat on it that way i would have the best cutting mower (in this area) and the old people with the mistaken certaintys that john deere is the best would ask me to mow also.:laugh:

8. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

Same here when i went to deere people at gas stations would ask me to do there lawns and just yesterday i had three people looking at them at the gas station. Its just the sexy colors i guess like the song goes if it runs like a deere her eyes light up.:weightlifter: :weightlifter:

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

To be honest when I first got into lawn care I hadn't heard of Exmark. It sounded like a cheap brand (name reminds me of K-mart). It was not until I started doing some investigating and reading lawnsite that I learned about the different brands. If you talk to the average person on the street or home owner most couldn't tell you the difference between an Exmark, Ferris, Toro, etc. But they all know John Deere. I mean the teens around here wear John Deere t-shirts (girls included). Not many Exmark t-shirts around. So yes, name recognition goes a long way. How many country songs can you name with John Deere in the lyrics. I can think of several.

10. screensnot

screensnot LawnSite Member
    from MI

How many manufacturers put out there own monthly magazine?

Sure, they don't put any pics of their mowers in it, but the pics they do put in there are good with me. Keep it up, Hustler!