Interesting problem? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kevin, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

A friend told his friend Iam in the lawn business. The new friend (potential client) says he is looking for service. His old guy did it for years then went on to manage an estate.The new guy last year was in a hurry and not up to his standard. His location is alittle bit out of the way, but it is 5 acres, and my friend says he is loyal and appreciative of good work, (he has been plowing for him for 20+ years.) Problem is does job+potential earnings outweigh the 20 minutes extra travel time, plus I'm kinda full now. Also was told last year was paying $225 a cut.

2. cst51

cst51 LawnSite Member

I would grab it in a minute. In the meantime, put together a flyer and pass them out in the immediate areas. Maybe you could pick up a couple more and make your trip worthwhile. Are you so full that the extra 3 hours a week will be too much? If so, possibly use a good sub and contract the account out for now. Do you have other accounts that you could drop? Better yet, Raise their prices by 5-10 dollars. If they agree perfect!!!!! If not then O.K. too. Let me know what you decide to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good Luck-Cary

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

20 minutes more straight driving time for a $225 cut, + any other sidework that may be done? Well, you can look at it like this. 5 minutes driving time between 5 $30-35 cuts would equal 20 minutes, and with the ONE job, you are only lifting the gate once, grabbing a trimmer once, unloading the mower once,(and re-loading), handling blower once,.....and so on. That's not to mention that you have an inside scoop that this guy is good at paying.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

At the most I would have charged $275 for that cut. The very least would have been $140. I would have to say that $225 is a happy medium.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

5. RNH

RNH LawnSite Member

45.00 per acre, not bad for open cutting, I would drive 20 minutes out of my way for $225.00 per cut. Just keep it business only with your friend, friend.

Ron Helsel
    RNH Property Service...

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

(My title is an awm thing) ;)

Do it and as Cary said, pass out some flyers in that area to pick up more if you want it and drop some lower ones. If he was paying that much before and wasn't satisfied, ask for more and make him satisfied.

I had a potential customer, a neighbor of some that I do their lawn work, call and wanted me to aerate, dethach and also asked if I would mow his lawn. He said he wasn't satisfied with his service and wanted his lawn to look like his neighbor's lawns that we do. Since I mow next door to him and the one next to it and across the street, I am very familiar with his lawn and I gave him a price over the phone. He said, but that is $15 more than the one that did it before. I said "Well you just told me you were not happy with his services, right?" He got the picture fast. ;)

7. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

I raise my prices every year on every body, and increase the lower 20%( the customers who are not making me the same percentage of profit) of my clients by 10-40%. I would like to get in this 'development' as it is all family and around 65-75 acres. But I'm not counting on that. This job is a lot of wackin' also.

8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Kevin...if you don't want it...I know someone who does...;)

P.S. See where I'm located.

9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

kevin what ever you do don't pass on that yard. $225 a cutting is great for going out of the way 20mins. last year i was doing my aunts house for $75 a cutting about a acre and a half, and picked up 2 more people on the street with yards just as big for the same price. if you do a good job people will see it and ask you to bid on theres. its a win/ win situation

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if you are busy mowing, the fewer times you drop the gate ramp in a day the more money you make. do it.

GEO