1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Interesting Request For Proposal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Jan 14, 2005.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I got an RFP in Dec. for a retirement community and it looks like I have made it into the finals and the vendor will be chosen here in the next few weeks. The retirement home has a west and east side location, fairly big jobs too about 3-4 acres each. Whats interesting is along with the retirement homes this company provides seniors who live in there own homes an opportunity to join an association that list vendors for home delivered services, lawn mowing, plumbing, grocery shopping etc.. As of now there is 125 members with a projected 2,000 members by 2008. They are looking for one vedor in several catagories so if I did get the contract I would be the only lawn mainteance vendor listed. Whats nice is I wouldnt have to send bills to each customer, I send an itemized bill for the services for that month and the retirement home sends me a check. I know for some dealing with a butt load of seniors doesnt sound fun, but I would have to say that the seniors I do have been great customers so far. I'll give more details about the bid when I find out more just thought I would share.
  2. cward

cward LawnSite Member

That sounds like a heck a potential for you. I hope you get it. What an opportunity.
  3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Have you submitted a bid? 125 lawns in only 3-4 acres?

What is an RFP?

What did you have to do to make it to the "Finals"?
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

RFP.."request for proposal"
    "the finals"...the remaining bidders on the list after credentials and insurance requirements are met

Best of luck with the bidding...
  5. promower

Basically I would be on a list of vendors, members of this organization would call and set up lawn maintenance by getting my name from the list. Not every member would call, so out of the 125 I could possibly get say maybe 10 or 20 new accounts which is a total guess. Although the member list will grow each year so there potential for a fair amount of work.
    The 3-4 acres is a retirement home that the same company owns that I would also bid on.
    I was sent the RFP (request for proposal) with a bunch of questions I had to answer, references, proof of ins. workmans comp etc.. And they sent back a letter a few days ago that the possible vendors have been narrowed down to 3 and that my company is being considered for the job. So I guess I'll just have to wait.
  6. promower

Update on this. Well I got a letter today saying that I have been elected to be one of the vendors, they ended up picking 2 companies cause I dont offer a lot of landscaping yet, the other vendor is probably the biggest lawn/landscape company in my neck of the woods. When they sent back more info I'm glad I wasnt picked to do any landscaping. They state that they will not pay any mark up on material. The only thing thing sounds not good is they also state that vendors will be paid within 40 days of providing service. Well at least there up front about it so I'm not wondering where my check is. We'll see how this goes but I'm not as optimistic as I was a month ago.
  7. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

sounds good. good luck, watch that 40 day thing. they just put payment in thier hands, sounds odd. i have several associated properties and thier bills read "due upon reciept". have had good experiences with these type of accounts. payup payup
  8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

try to get them into auto pay, like jim lewis has set up, that would cut out the 40 days and you could claim its a way to keep their cost down.
    just my .02