1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Interesting sign

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spcfoor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a company offer $25 for 10k sqft lawn. Let the lowballing commence.
  2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends. His overhead may be a 21" mower, small trailer, weedeater and pulled by a minivan. He does is part-time for a few jobs and that is it.

He may clear as much as others that would charge $35 with all their overhead with nicer trucks, big WB's and ztr's,big fancy trailer all decked out with all the accessory racks, aerator machines, spray rigs,etc. Now that is alot of overheard payments for the equipment.

I don't know why all the talk with newcomers every year about lowballers, etc. when this is the easiest field to get into. Any 12 year old can get a mowing job down the street.

You just have to deal with the job field you selected and may lemonade out of lemons. If you don't then the 12 year old will take your lemonde from you. :laugh: :laugh:
  3. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

I pull a 5X10 and a Stander with a min van :)

I dont lowball.
  4. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

I would have to agree. Accounts around these parts are so easy to get it's unbelievable. The season has not even started good yet and I'm already picking and choosing my accounts. I avoid people who tell me about the lowballers when I go out to bid a job, cause all those people want is a cheap cut not a "good lookin' " lawn. The lowballers can have all the crap work...That's what they will end up with. (an account I didn't want anyways):)
  5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i hate a lowballer but depending on the regeion i think 25.00 for a 1/4 of an acre ( with little trimming ) is decent .
  6. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

that is about the going rate here.
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow your net per cut is probable more than most of us here. Low overhead and still living at home with the parents. Enjoy while you can then the real world hits you once you leave the parents. :laugh:
  8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I cant stand lowballers. now, if you're legit, and have all the proper insurance, and stuff like that, I could care less, as long as you dont try to steal my accounts from under me.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with you on this one, I'm getting the tire-kickers also... I'm not even returning those calls like I used to in years past.
    Because you are right, I don't want those accounts, matter of fact I want someone else to have those accounts because:
    a) those low-paying accounts end up keeping me busy and right when my schedule is full, comes the phonecall from someone who might have paid more! And now, I have to turn them away (and you don't even realize it, is the worst part).
    b) Worse yet, more than a few low-balling customers want 'special' service on top of the low price. Oh yes, can you come out thursday between 10a and 4p and how about changing the cut height and other crap along those lines. Oh yeah... And call me 3 times every day from Monday until Wednesday and I have to hold their hand because they're all worried about who knows what, are you coming out? Yeah, ok, and they want to plan it all out exact like it's some mayor enterprise ... omg...
    c) In more than a few cases, all I'm doing is running my machines into the dirt, and for next to nothing to boot. Those dusty, rock-filled / 3-foot tall grass yards are not good for the machines, I will charge at least double for this kind of nonsense but since I already know their answer to that kind of estimate, I don't even bother in the first place (unless I don't see it coming over the phone - even then, if I drive up and see it's like that, I keep right on driving, never even stop).

I learned an important lesson, and that is to work only for those people who:
    a) appear to give at least some kind of rat about their yard's appearance. This rat must be apparent not in their words, but in what I can see.
    b) want good service, and are willing to pay for it.
    c) will not nit-pick and mickey mouse me and run me around to death.

It has been my experience that 9 out of 10 people are low-ballers or folks who want something for nothing. So, let the nitpicking begin because I can nitpick, too.

p.s.: We're not only doing ourselves a favor, but we're helping natural selection along and we will feel a LOT less frustration throughout the year, that is a promise!
    p.s.s.: the below signature truly says it all, because profits really DO fix everything.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There are two more things:

I get approached by jokers off the side of the road a LOT more when I'm working on some low-ballers yard, I swear they can either smell it or see it when I'm getting skru'd - So now they think they can get in on the 'deal' too and every last one of those side-of-the-road things has always been nothing but a waste of time. (Like the guy comes over asking me how much to cut his grass - as his lawn-mower sits literally out in his driveway... that's always the kind of thing clues me in: I must look like scrub. And why? Because I either low-balled this job, or I GOT low-balled).

When I catch a low-balling customer, a lot of times I quote a price even higher than my usual because:
    a) it cuts the bs short: no haggling, no crying, no nothing. the high price shocks them quiet, and I can leave (yeah because they were not going to pay the standard fare anyhow, so what's the difference?)
    b) when a low-baller Lco gets the job, more than a few of these customers can not resist telling that Lco how ridiculous a price they were quoted by someone else (and they even mention the figure). After a few years of hearing this stuff, it dawned on me one day, hey, you know what? Maybe I should be quoting those ridiculous prices.

You know how I know this?