Interesting Story

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by boxsky, May 30, 2006.

1. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

Got a call last week from a lady asking for an estimate. Went to house and agreed on price and had her sign the contract. Mowed the grass right there and then.
    Today I was going by and wanted to give her, her copy of the contract. Went to the front door and asked for her when a different lady answered the door. Lady tells me she is the new owner of the house and the other lady said I would be stopping by to mow. She doesn't want mowing services at this time.
    She told me she give her my letter and said she moved in with her parents(this lady was in her 50's) and she was good for the money.

She never told me she sold the house, nor where there any signage. I'm out $30 for the mowing. I'm glad I caught this before i went and mowed again this week.

Has this ever happened to anyone else here?:dizzy: By the way this are not cheap houses.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, a long time ago when I did not know what to do about it but my situation was far worse because I accepted the job from a guy who called from out of state with a phone number I later found to be untraceable. I learned at this time to always make a few checks before accepting such jobs but in your case, I can not say this would hold true.

Anyway, even if she never signed the contract she's still liable.

First, see if you can get her parent's address, that would be the easy way.

Do you have the lady's full name?
    If so, good.

If not, do you have her telephone number?
    Try going to http://reversephonedirectory.com/ and typing it in, see what all comes up.

You need at least the last name and zip code, then you can do a people search here:
    http://www.whitepages.com/10583/
    Which might also turn up the parent's address ...

If you can find the parents, a visit should fix things, or simply leave a bill on the door so you don't have to talk to them but you do need to make sure it's the right house in the last case.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Now I'm not too sure about the legalities because it would appear the customer tried this with intent, but it can not be proven.
    Oh, I mean you and I, I think we know what's up, but what if she wanted to pay before you left and you were gone by then? Not saying that was the case, just a scenario of many things she might can say, and it may be true ...

So, the customer has to be given a chance to pay, she has to be given at least one bill with your address or some address to send payment to. For collection purposes, the due date of the payment is as of the day you finished the job.

Anyway, get all this info and get in touch / leave a bill and then if within 60 days you get no money, then go to http://olddebts.com/ and I'd pick the Instant Collect package with the +3 for credit record and in your case, +1 for the NCOA (National Change of Address) thing, so 11 dollars is your cost to chase but I would chase it down myself, this is only in case nothing else works.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

p.s.: On the whitepages people search, I just did one to test and found a result in a zip adjacent to the one I put in, so it is smart.

4. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

I have her full name, address, old phone number, signature. Problem is she moved with her parents no new phone number. I am going to wait a week and see if she got the letter from the new owner. If not I will mail one and see if there is a forwarding address.

Before I have done anything with my clients, I do a check on the property. See who owns it, size of lot, size of house. If someone calls and they are not the owner, I ask for the owners signature. We have very few rentals in this area.

I probably will not pursue this that much other then a phone call, mail a letter or 2. It is only one mowing and the cost to me to go after $30 is not worth my time.
    I'm curious if this ever happened to anyone else