1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Interesting Tips

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BTLS, Jan 27, 2007.

1. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I can't take credit for these tips (I hadn't heard many of these before- I found them looking through some of the sponsor sites. I thought they were very interesting.

- A four inch PVC pipe coupler is perfect for securing blower tubes. Simply attach to the trailer rail beside the blower rack.
    - When locking up equipment a multi-strand cable is more secure than a chain because it is more difficult to cut.
    - A grease gun needle adapter or chain saw bar sprocket lubricator is great for greasing line trimmer gear heads with small openings.
    - Very few two cycle engines actually wear out internally. Most are junk long before because of the abuse they receive in-between use.
    - Use a lanyard kit to secure easily lost air filter caps to the housing.
    - Use a lanyard kit to secure mower keys from loss thus preventing costly down time.
    - Use marine grease on wheel bearings during wet seasons to help prevent wash out.
    - Aluminum fuel bottles used for backpacker's stoves are excellent for carrying spare fuel for trimmers to remote areas
    - A portable electric chain saw sharpener or Dremel tool is great for dressing up and sharpening hedge trimmer blades.
    - Provide each crew member with a telephone cord type key chain with the key to locks on your racks. They can hang the key around their necks and reach the locks. At the end of the day place it with their time card.
    - Rev 'em up! Two cycle engines are designed to run at high RPM because of the nature of line trimmers they are often used at low RPM's a majority of the time. Unlike blowers, this can cause carbon to build up resulting in piston rings sticking and other problems.
    - Use Safety Wire or nylon wire ties to secure lynch pins closed on front wheel casters to prevent evergreens and shrubs from opening them. It might prevent an expensive accident
    - A mesh cage or basket might be fine for grass catchers, however it will cause damage to trimmers and blowers. Bouncing and banging around can severely shorten their life.
    - Aerosol hair spray makes a good adhesive for securing rubber hand grips and caps.
    - Use a line trimmer from right to left when possible to reduce the amount of grass on walks and drives.
    - A standard pair of diagonal cutters are perfect for cutting trimmer line. Use a lanyard kit and attatch them close to the line holder
    - The faster and easier a storage rack is to use the greater chance is it will be used. If it takes more than a couple of seconds (considering the number of times trimmers and blowers are loaded and unloaded) or involves a multi-step procedure it probably won't be used.
    - Additives in blended fuels can discolor translucent gas tanks preventing visual fuel monitoring.
    - Don't discard old tire tubes. Use a pair of scissors to cut one inch sections and make durable rubber bands. They have many uses including holding trimmer line on spools.
    - Tie a knot(s) in a stretch cord to shorten it.
    - Install trimmer and blower racks on the curb sidewhen possible. It's safer.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Some of those sound like dealer tips ...

The first trimmer I bought I revved like they told me to, and it lasted one whole season...
    I figured, if that's all the time they last, what have I got to lose by not revving it?

And so the 2nd and subsequent trimmers I only gave as much throttle as needed.
    The 2nd trimmer (which I bought in spring 4 years ago) is still going strong.
    The 3rd trimmer (my 1st 4-cycler, new as of last spring) is also almost brand new still.

But while you're in the pcv section, get some short sections about 1.5 - 2" in diameter, and some primer and glue so that WHEN you nick your first sprinkler system with the trimmer string, you got the tools to fix it (get a cheapo hacksaw too).
    A 100+ foot 2,000+lb.-test bit of rope is good, too (but not cheap).
    Jumper cables, fix-a-flat, one gallon of already mixed antifreeze, a quart of trans fluid, some brake and p/s fluid, and a can of starting fluid.

Here's a biggie:
    Figure it out, but run either 10w-30 OR 10w-40 in EVERYTHING (including the truck, mower, Z, everything that uses oil uses the SAME brand and grade).
    You can do like I did, and then try and remember what grade goes in what, but it's easier to use the SAME oil in everything.
    Then, carry one extra quart of that with you as well.

On the note of 2-cycle fuel, I carry a once-emptied oil bottle full of that with me (so no fuel cans onboard).
    A toolbox with as complete a set of tools as you can get and fit in there.
    A hydraulic floor jack!
    A spare tire for the trailer!
  3. CA CLT

CA CLT LawnSite Member

The part about carbon build up is true no matter what RPM you run your stuff at. Normally though, you see it more in line trimmers and blowers because they get the long hours on them. Every now and again you need to pull off the exhaust and clean it all out. They get plugged up to the point that the equipment won't breathe very well and loses power. In extreme cases carbon flakes off, enters the cylinder, and grounds the spark plug. If you are getting carbon on your plug, clean your exhaust out.