Interesting way to handle copyright infringement

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by PaperCutter, May 21, 2013.

1. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

There are so many people who ask for website critiques and turn out to be ripping off other people's content that I thought this was worth sharing (if strong language offends you, you probably don't want to click through):

Bottom line: write your own damn content. Use your own images. If you can't provide either, hire someone (but run what they do through Copyscape). I'd die of embarrassment if I was publicly shamed like the person who ripped off Erika N's stuff.
  2. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. As far as I'm concerned, if someone's ideas suck, that's their problem. If they think they can steal someone else's content they deserve whatever public humiliation they get AS WELL AS cease and desists, knuckle-rapping from the hosting provider, etc.

I have a blog (unrelated to this industry) with a crap-ton of content. Someone trying to grow a business in that space lifted ALL our content. Eff that.
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

I see my content lifted all the time and I use a very successful, three-pronged approach.

1. Direct phone call to the business owner. I can tell you that none of them ever expect getting that phone call. In almost every instance, they blame "the web guy" or the worst nephew/son-in-law on the planet. The vast majority have the offending content (and, in two cases, the entire site) removed within 5 minutes to 3 days.

2. If, after 3 days, the content has not been removed, they receive a letter from my attorney. 100% of the time, this works every time...

3. I've never had to get to the third option, although it would entail me burying their business doing what I am significantly better at than they are. Suing can be more time-consuming than SEO. lol
  5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Man I spent about as much time on that page as it took to write this reply because I ain't reading through that whole diatribe.
  6. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

I read thru most of it & found it overkill. I'll never get back the 5 mins I wasted reading that tirade!