Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrianK10, May 19, 2004.

1. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

Hey All.
    Had one of my best friends call me the other day and tell me about this flyer he got on his mailbox about lawn mowing. Had a price quote of $40.00 on it (mowing/trimming/edging/blowing). My friend lives on 2 1/4 acres. How in the world is this guy making money? I didn't believe him at first, but when I saw it for myself, I was amazed. Just thought I'd spit that out to all of you. You guys probably see it more then I do, I was just blown away by that price. Oh well, don't work too hard guys. CYA!

2. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

This week as I was passing out door hangers, I found some door hangers from another LCO. There was no company name on the door hangers, but there was a picture of a bird and at the top it said "Cheap, Cheap Yard Mowing." Then down below, it said $19.95 weekly, $24.95 every other week.

The lawns I found them on were every bit of $25 to $30 for weekly cut on my service.

The scary part is, it may have been a legitimate LCO. They were advertising Visa/MC/Disc and the door hanger was in two or three colors.

Oh well.

DFW Area Landscaper
  3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I would bet they get the account and then next year the price goes up to where it should be. Hook em and ckean em.
  4. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I do that in a few neighborhoods.. Make the price for weekly mowing lower than my usual price (lowball myself) and then rack up the dough by selling them on fertilization, mulch, and double cutting.. Get them hooked on the quality of my work and then next year --- 50% increase and they all stay with me..
  5. number1dad

number1dad LawnSite Member

Hang on to some other door hangers. These new rates and service will probably not be very desirable. Service to a yard is worth paying for it.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I see it every year. But these people only usually last for about a month and then they are gone or never show up
  7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

These people have been around for years, I thought maybe it was an old website, so I called them, still going.

$18 any lawn, mow, blow, trim and edge, doesn't appear that they do any other services
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

How many sq. ft.?
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

awww...I have seen information about those guys before
  10. BOSS MAN

BOSS MAN LawnSite Member

Nope $18 is nothing. Here in Tulsa OK., we have a bunch of mexicans running around putting up signs saying," $10 mow and trim." I'd honestly like to see their green cards. I know damn good and well they don't have them. This year we got a few new customers from these guys. It seems they all disappeared for a few months last year. Their "EQUIPMENT" consists of an S-10 pickup, about six 21's, some weed eaters and a hand held blower or two. And believe it or not they have a bunch of business. At first I couldn't see how they could make money, but then again all six of them probably live in the same apartment, don't pay taxes on their profits and so on. Oh well everyone deals with MORONS like this, and there's not a whole lot to do.... EXCEPT call the police on 'em and have 'em check for their green cards.... HA HA HA!!!