1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

intergrated pest management

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jeff_0, Mar 11, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

I've been down mostly mowing and some mulching last year. I just started my own lawn maintenance business and i'm trying to get it to a full service lawn care company.. i passed the test last week to get my pesticidel applicators license. I'm not really sure where to start. I haven't advertised for it but mostly am looking for next year to for this to be a big profit generator. How does the ipm exactly work? Do i have a customer that has weeds and put a herbicide down and that's it. I know there's more to it. Please any input would be helpful.
  2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a turf book and start reading. It should cover cultural practices (mowing, aerating and watering). Weed control. Fertilizing and diesease control. Lawn pests. General soil info. Turf cultivars. So get a book read it and then you can fine tune. It isn't instant. You will never learn it all. Make friends at a golf course in groundskeeping. They see it all.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

look up the word"integrated". in ipm, u r not just applying a herbicide to control weeds, but rather everything u do(watering properly, fertilizing properly, etc.) all are combined to accomplish what it is u set out to do.
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Classic use of IPM strategies involve chemical applications as a last step. To be truely IPM based involves mapping the property, ID'ing the host plant/turf, scouting for signs of activity, mapping these signs, monitoring the signs, determining threshold of activity, incorporating cultural practices, repeating the monitoring, then - if necessary - applying pesticides.
    Being truely IPM based is very labor and time consuming.
    Golf courses do it for a couple of reasons. For GCSAA based environmental programs, Audubon International programs, insurance, fiscal - etc.
    Private residences really do not want to pay for a true IPM program - unless you have a rich client.
    Provided you really want to be IPM based, become a contractor at your local school district as most states are enacting very strict IPM based programs in an effort to lessen exposure of kids to pesticides.
  5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

In my humble opinion, IPM costs less.

The savings comes in reduced pesticide and application costs.

Ever hear the one about an ounce of prevention....
  6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a very good home study class..
    Purdue University

Its tough, but you'll learn IPM, and many other things.

Also your local extension office can help..IPM is a very popular concept now.

Contact the Maryland Coop Ext...they have a very good book on IPM, VA Coop EXt recommends it.
  7. Been cover pretty well!! All professional turf people should pratice IPM Use pesticide when pest levels at an unacceptable level. Know the pest, use proper pesticide, follow label instructions, and ONLY apply if truely necessary!!! Dende turf will result in less pesticides used!!!

Good fert program needs a soil test!!!
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Please don't take what I am about to say personal. You have Done your best by trying to be legal and that is more than I can say for many others. "Turf Weeds and Their Control" by Alfred Turgeon or "Turf Grass Management" by James Beard are two every good books. Good Luck

It really blows my mind that Maryland's pesticide test is so lame.
  9. Ric right, those are excellent books
  10. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Who sells the books you recommended? I can't find Turf Grass Management by James Beard. There is a book with the same title but the author is Alfred Turgeon. I checked at Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and Rutgers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Matt