1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Interior cultured stone

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bigviclbi, Jan 29, 2008.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

If there is drywall existing can I just tie the metal lathe into the studs and overlay the drywall, scratch coat and then veneer? If it was bare studs would the easiest installation be using tileboard and then thinset? since its not outside I'm guessing these methods would work, but would like to know. I've done a wall inside before, but used plywood, lathe, scratchcoat, veneer method more as a practice for future outside work(didn't use paper since it was inside). Alot of people are starting to want cultured stone on inside walls and looking for the easiest/best installation methods. Thanks-
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We do the plywood/lathe approach, but always use a vapor barrier. Could use wonder board as well.
  3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I do not see the point of a vapor barrier. You use a vapor barrier outside to keep water out of the house.
  4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Vapor barriers are in the house too. On the other side of the sheetrock of an exterior wall is a vapor barrier between insulation. I would not see the need for it on an interior wall w/ no insulation, but I also could see a problem with doing a vapor barrier on an insulated sheetrocked exterior wall. This could trap moisture in the sheetrock and lead to mold problems. I would like to know proper technique and why as well.
  5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

We remove the drywal and use backerboard or any concrete based wall panel
  6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a good idea since drywall isn't very strong.