Interior or exterior controllers?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by houston, Apr 4, 2004.

1. houston

houston LawnSite Member

On residential installations, do you install inside or outside controllers and the reason for one over the other? ;)

2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

what ever is more convienent...sometimes inside the garage is so easy to install a timer.

sometimes it is easier to install outside near power. it really depends on the set up.

brian

we have done both...we have installed timers on light poles, trees, in garages, basements, on the side of bleachers...you name it.

brian

3. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

In our area we service mostly summer homes. So installing outside saves you from having to track down the owners for access to controllers. Year round residence I usually install in Garage or utiliy rooms-Harry

4. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

As a side note the worst place I've seen a timer installed was in a lower kitchen cabinet!

5. earthtool

earthtool LawnSite Member

Out side unless not an option. Like was said,"easy access with out home owner".

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Around here, people have come to expect them inside - on the wall in their garage. That's just the standard around here. 99% of the systems I see and install are like that.

I guess I prefer indoor controllers anyway. We use Rainbird ESP controllers, and the ESP Indoor controllers are quite a bit less $ than the outdoor controllers are. Second, there is almost never an outlet outside on most of the homes around here.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Most here are indoor. The manifold is rarely near an outlet to plug in, and the added cost of an outdoor timer and hard wiring could be the breaker in not getting a bid. Would prefer all outdoors, but not a big deal.

Worst one I've seen, between the floor joists in a crawl space with no light fixture to see what your doing.

8. h2o2gunr

h2o2gunr LawnSite Member

inside with a remote control technologies fm pigtail. best of both worlds.

worst location ive seen? closet in a alzeimers ward. no kidding!!!

9. Outdoors...all of them are outdoors hung at service panel. In Phoenix it never rains, freezes, hails, or anything else to cause problems and make us put them inside.

That being said...worse place I ever saw one was in the Master Bedroom. It was an extension cord plugged in outside and running through a tiny hole in the window...must have been drilled with a special diamond tip drill bit.....

The wierdest part was that it was an old Rainbird Mechanical timer....LOUD AS HELL....but they somehow learned to live with it.

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey... when it comes to having to wire another 110 outlet somewhere, how many of you guys will do the wiring?