Interlock Quote interview help!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PlatinumLandCon, Sep 3, 2007.

1. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi everyone,
    I sent out some flyers and got a call for a quote for an interlock driveway and entrance w/ stairs. I need some tips for the interview. Should I wear a shirt and tie? Any tips on what to say? Should I give an indication of pricing info before visiting the stone yard?

This is the first blind interview that I've done without meeting the person first. I'm really excited about this because I really want this job.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I think your mouth is writing checks that your company can not cash.

Are you really ready for a paver driveway? This is not a job you want to start with.

3. PlatinumLandCon

Well I have done a driveway before, just not for money. Also, the driveway is only about 20'x35' so its really not that big. The entrance would be 2 steps and about 8' long.

I have no problem doing the job, I'm just nervous about the sales call.

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I would recommend dressing 'nice'.

5. PlatinumLandCon

Thank you. I was debating dressing up or not. Should I wear a tie?

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I wouldn't suggest a tie. Just being young + tie....I don't know, just seems over the top. Happen to have a shirt with your logo on it? If not, grab a polo and you're good. No jeans and tennis shoes.

You may have done an install but read up on the ICPI website. Also, go to the stone yard and speak with a sales guy. Get literature and ask a lot of questions. Go prepared with questions. You want to educate your customer, not just go in and say yeah I can do it for this much $. Tell them how, tell them why. Also, give them an idea of the scope of the work and labor/trouble involved......."yeah we need to haul about 5 dump trucks of soil out and have abotu 20 tons of 21A sub base delivered"........gives them a visual.

Educate yourself, learn the terms and why exactly things are done this way and not that way.......relay that to your customer. Basic concept of selling.