intermatic contractor grade

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I'm not talking about the malibu consumer stuff, but does anyone have feedback on the stainless steel transformers? They say contractor grade and offer lifetime on the coil, I think.

The reason I ask is that they are stealthy/compact, and you don't have to pay for multi-taps.

I will still use the multi-tap trans for my halogen installs, but with the LED's I could just use a fixed transformer.

They also have a switch that looks like the aube, and is rated much higher than the 300 watt timer.

2. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Mike,

I installed the precursor to their (Intermatic) new Aube look-a-like and all eight of them failed. Replaced all with X-10 and have had no problems since. No experience with the Aube.

Burt Wilson
    Accent Outdoor Lighting

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you will find those Intermatic "Pro Grade" transformers to be pretty lousy Mike. I removed one a couple of years ago. ( I just looked at the website and yes it is the same) and the build quality was pretty low. It also was VERY noisy, lots of vibration and hum. The lugs/taps didn't impress me at all. The whole fit and finish (right down to the pigtail coming out of the side of the unit) looked quite sub standard.

As for the onboard digital timer, well I would suspect that is an Intermatic unit. "Doh!"
    I don't have a lot of faith in intermatic digital timers as I have had lots of issues with them in the past. I do have one of the new Astro versions here for testing, but I have not installed it yet.

Regards.

4. Mike M

from usa

James, is the astro the one that looks like the aube switch?

5. Mike M

from usa

Burt, you had prob's with the wall switch? What was the failure? Were these rated for higher amps?

James, the model I'm looking at is a small stain steel box, 300 watts.

Which manu's offer a line of smaller, solid, reliable tranformers, without multaps?

I like the fact that Unique makes their own. Funny, the older Nightscaping units I just had to deal with would be perfect for LED's. You can just switch the voltage up to 13.5 for everything.

That's how the intermatic I picked up works. You can configure it for straight 14V. Funny little guy, comes with no power cord.

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Mike, Intermatic makes a few different Decora style, 'in wall' digital timers. The old style are just that, simple digital timers. They make use of ni-cad or AA batteries for backup and the heavier rated units use a mechanical relay inside to do the switching. They fail regularly here.

The "new" unit I have here for testing is Model ST01C70 "Self Adjusting Wall Switch Timer". It is an astro unit and is rated to 15A loads.

Regards.

7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Watch out Mike. Sounds like you might have a situation there. Technically you will have to have a Licensed EC hook up the power cord for those units. You are not allowed to mess with line voltage connections no matter how simple.

Regards.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

just talk to joey he will make you 300w units with 14v only if you ask him too im sure. plus you will have a reliable product you will be able to get warranty on at the drop of a hat

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

They are perfect for that application Mike. And they are not 'older'.

Take a long look at the T-100-SS, T-150-SS, T-250-SS, T-500-SS and T-1000-SS. You will find they carry a Lifetime Warranty, and are well designed, very functional, feature rich, supporting the best variety of modular control options in the industry and fully approved. Nice "Big Lugs" on those units too!

http://www.nightscaping.com/power_models.htm

10. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Yes they were the wall switch. Don't remember what they were rated for but would handle fluorescent. The battery terminals would always corrode no matter what you did. And the clocks would just quit working. To be fair, I put most of these in garages that were not temperature controlled and as soon as the summer temp heated up or winter came along they would fail. The clocks would not work. This was the old style before they looked like the Aube. I think the model was SS8, but don't hold me to that.

Burt Wilson
    Accent Outdoor Lighting