1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

intermittent ignition problem on '77 350

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by joe, Apr 8, 2000.

1. yortengel

yortengel LawnSite Member

It really sounds like you have a bad coil. I have seen one vehicle do this. It was a bad coil. <br>When you changed the Distributor cap. How was the ground strap in the distributor?<br>all so, is your distributor loose? if not than your timing is probably ok. unless it has a problem with the timing chain.<br>You can take the truck in to a garage and just have the problem diagnosed. We would normaly charge one hour labor for this. $60.00 <br>PS. I check the coil that was causing the problem just like you have. It passed all the tests I ran on it with a DVOM. only an ignition scope would have shown the problem. low output voltage. Coils are cheap. and easy to install. maybe you should try one.
  2. joe

joe LawnSite Member

The distributor seems tight, the truck has been starting every time now - it usually only takes a few seconds, really fast! I think it wants out of the garage and knows it has to be good before I let it out &lt;G&gt;.<p>I plan on trying a new coil, but it may be another week before I can get to doing that.<br>If it happens again, I will definitely send it to the repair shop and let them go over it.<p>thanks again<p><br>joe