1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

International 4700 bucket truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by OhioMowerGuy, Jul 18, 2006.

1. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if you need a CDL for a 2001 International 4700 55ft. bucket truck/chip truck. I work for a tree company during the day and was wondering if I should drive it or not. Im not sure of the GVW on the truck. Thanks
  2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

if the GVWR is 26001 or more, OR has air brakes, you need a CDL. in any case, getting a CDL isnt that hard. if you cant pass that test, you shouldnt be driving that truck to begin with.
  3. OhioMowerGuy

Ive drove the truck plenty of times. I just dont want to be driving it if im supposed to have a CDL.
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Most 4700 have a 25,500 GVW, not just don't tow anything with it. Because if you do, you need a CDL because then your over a total gross of 26,000 gvw. SO THAT MEANS NO CHIPPER!!!!!!!!!!! even if it has special equipment tags on it, instead of trailer tags.
  5. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Most 4700's are under 26,000 but i have seen some that where over, if it has airbrakes you have to have your CDL. Itsgottobegreen is 100% right NO trailers or chippers. We have an F800 with a 55' bucket and forestry chip dump, and we are considered over CDL if we pull the chipper with that truck. So if the job is not in town or within a few miles we will pull the chipper with another truck.
  6. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

I worked for some years now driving buckets and had a 4700 GRVW was 34,000. If your not sure of the wieght just look at the registration.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

air brakes is not a REQUIREMENT for a CDL it is based on the weight. there are alot of people driving straight trucks with air brakes that are 25,900# with no CDL and it is perfectly legal.
  8. OhioMowerGuy

thanks for the replies
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Not in my state.

Airbrakes require an endorsement.

10. climber

climber LawnSite Member

If the truck doesnt have air brakes and no chips or a chipper you will be under CDL. I know a guy who just bought a brand new 06 ford F750 with a 60' boom thats under CDL. But I know he over when he hauls his bandit 95!