International knowing folks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Nov 11, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I'm seeing things back and forth on these trucks...........4200, 4300, 4400 etc......

4200 I see with the smaller engine.......so no thanks

4300 & 4400 I see the DT466 in the 4400 as well as the 4300 + the 500 series engine and GVW back and forth......what is really the difference between the two trucks?

Besides getting the right truck I need it to be 2002 or newer....modern look. Yes is cosmetics but its what I want and the image I wish to present.

Many of you have helped me with info on various trucks and I thank you. From what I've gathered International is the most friendly and problem free with the DT466. I like the idea of being able to easily rebuild the engine if need be without removing it from the truck nor trashing it for a new one like CAT due to not being sleeved. I think International is the way I am going to want to go though I am still keeping my options open. Once I get a truck I'll do my best to picture document as much of the process as I can for everybody from start to finish.:clapping:

2. tthomass

from N. VA

Also............how are the hydro brakes? I'm used to air brakes and have been spoiled by having them in these larger trucks but I'm seeing lots of trucks with the hydro brakes on them.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You might also consider the slighly heavier 4700 series chasis.

4. tthomass

from N. VA

I spent a while on the phone last night with Walter about his truck.......may as well go CDL (I've got an A).......time to explore prices again.........33,000 GVW

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I think you will be fine with a 4300/4400. It looks like the 4700 has been dropped from the international line up based on their website. I didn't realize they offer a 4400 in a 40k lb tandem setup. The difference is the 4400 can be set up with a heavier axle and there is a Fuller 10 speed option. The 466 is rated for more hp and the 570 is also available.

I agree stay away from the 4200 series because it used the VT365 V8 and we all know it can't even come close to the flat torque curve the 466/570 engines make.

6. tthomass

from N. VA

yeah no thanks on the 4200, i'll just stick with my 2500hd vs that haha..........i've got some dealers seraching for me, lets see what they can find