International knowing folks.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Oct 15, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Why do the gauges wave at you when they sometimes decide not to work?

During the warm weather, nothing. Everything was just fine. Now that it is getting cooler the gauges go crazy. I'll pull out and the tach is bouncing all over hte place adn the speedo too. Cruise control won't work when this is going on too.

Then this weekend, the little black button you press to reset your trip meter, see your total mileage, MPG, engine hours etc.......its stuck on my trip meter and won't let me clear it or scroll.

'02 International 4300 DT466

PITA.

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

how many miles? could just be a ground problem

3. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Ground and / or humidity with cooler weather? Looks like all the symptoms are related and probably caused by one fault. Start wiggling wires to see if you can isolate it.

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

the insturment cluster is bad chaged many of them when i was a truck machanic. not cheap!!!

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I've been meaning to pull it out......just a matter of when I have time to mess with it.

The only thing screwy is the tach and speedo.........all gauges are fine. I don't need a tach or speedo. I do want to get the button working again to keep up with my mileage, thats the only thing that really bugs me. The tach still works, the speedo still works but that dang little button bothers me!

I've driven other Internationals that had screwy tach/speedo until you got warmed up and isn't a real issue for me.....its screwy and then quits, only in cold weather. Guess I get to look forward to pulling it out this weekend.

Not cheap.........what is not cheap? The cluster or taking it to a shop and letting them do it?

I'm in for another round here........I'm going over the truck. I'm putting new ABS sensors up front, getting the AC charged, new windshield thanks to a dump truck at my expense and a new braided oil return line that leaks. Little things but they're adding, time to get rid of them. Oh yeah, and a bling bling front bumper from the accident. Sometimes toy with getting it tuned.....

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

International trucks always have had bad wiring it started back in the 70s they had wiring problems. I have worked on many International trucks and they gotta be the worst for wiring.

I would get a good set of mechanical gauges and mount them in the dash so the main guages Oil pressure,Water Temp and Voltage. The oil pressure and water temp guages are the most important.

Most new truck gauge clusters are just a printed circut board nothing is mechanical anymore :nono:

As the others said start checking the body grounds and wigging wires to see if you got ones chaffing through.

Good Luck