1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

International Switch-N-Go Setup

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jhgilliland, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jhgilliland

jhgilliland LawnSite Member

Here is something ive been working on since early fall in my spare time

Truck Specs
    2001 International 4900
    25995 GVW
    Air Suspension / Air Brakes
    70,000 Miles

Was a 24' Box Truck. I removed the box to use for fertilizer storage.
    As you will see in the photos, Im setting up the Truck very similar to Jarod's trucks with a few slight variations.

I installed a rack over the cab that is capable of holding a skid steer buckets & attachments, Straw Bales, Wheelbarrows, Tools, Ect. I have since added a ladder at the driver side front corner to access the rack without going through the box.

The box behind the cab has storage spots for the tools that we use most often. The ladder inside the box provide access to the rack area. It also has a slide out ramp to facilitate getting in and out of the box on the curbside.

Ive ordered the 14' full hydraulic SNG system with a dump body and chip box. The truck is currently at my paint guy and will be there for a couple weeks. From there i just need to sandblast the truck frame, the box and rack, and bumper and paint everything black.

Ill be posting more pics as i make progress. Im hoping to have the truck on the road by mid -late march if we can get a few nice days to blast and paint.

All 602resized.jpg

All 603resized.jpg

All 702sized.jpg

All 707sized.jpg

2. jhgilliland

Here are a few more pics of the rack installed. You'll notice i decided to install gas shocks to raise the lid (back section of overhead rack). I also installed a saftey latch incase the shocks would fail so that no one gets hurt.

Stainless fenders are in and ready to install. Ill wait till i blast the frame. I also go the Air Shift PTO put on and the 15 gal tank installed.

All 391sized.jpg

All 399sized.jpg

All 406sized.jpg

All 418sized.jpg

3. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

Wow that looks great i wish i had skills to build that.How many hours do u have all together working on it?

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

tht is awesome! great work!

5. oakhillslandscaping

oakhillslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

nice i have been contimplating that setup since seeing jarods for the first time, cant wait to see yours after paint

6. 12Valve

12Valve LawnSite Member
    from NC

now thats a setup!

keep up the good work

7. jhgilliland

Hours? Im not real sure. I didnt do most of the work. My father does steel erection and fabrication so i figured id rather pay him to do it that to pay some other fabricator. I did some of the minor welding and grinding when things slowed down but this is really his work of art.
    The rack over the truck added substantially to the cost. The box only took a day or so to build. Setting up the rack and squaring it on the truck and leveling everything perfectly, that took a long time.

Its all back off the truck now and hopefully ill get the truck back from paint soon.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

There is alot of work put in there and lots of money in steel too :dizzy:

I weld and steel fab aswell and there is lots of finicky time consuming work building the toolbox etc. Even the end panels are creased so they don't oil can.

I do see one problem thou the gvw is going to be raised to 33,000lbs so the truck has some payload. By the time you add the hoist the truck is going to be pretty heavy.

9. jhgilliland

Yeah the steel for the rack and box was around $3000 but that includes having a shop bend a lot of the sheets up to save us time.

We had the sheets front and back panels bent or creased corner to corner to add strength to the sheet (1/8). The issue is making this strong enough to not only support the weight applied directly downward, but also to battle the forces one could expirence in a situation where i had to lock the brakes @ 55 or 60 mph.

As far as weight, it certainly isnt light. Im going to run the truck through the scales directly after painting and then again after installing the box and rack back on the truck. Id bet its 1500 - 2000 lbs extra for everything.

10. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

That is going to be very handy. The weight was my first thought too. We got a 7500 thats under 26k. Very easy to run over weight.