International VT365 a dog

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BCF, Feb 1, 2007.

1. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any experience with International truck? I'm looking at an '03 4200 with the VT365 and 5.29 gears. Will be getting an 18' flatbed with a lift gate on back. I know the truck I'm driving now has almost the same engine(6.0L ford diesel), and it does fine, but it's only a F550, and I'm worried that the heavier truck will bog it down with a big load. I average 2-3 ton loads now, but will probably have more with a truck that can carry it. Any advice would be great.

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

what kind of tranny?

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Advice.............buy a 4300 w/ DT466.............2002+

4. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

My father's trucking company has a F650, 26k gvw with the 7.3.

Truck does fine even loaded to GVW, until you hit hills then you're doing about 55, otherwise you can maintain 65 in it.

5. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

Allison 2400 tranny.

6. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

Why a 4300? I'm not really sure of the differencees between the two. I"m assuming the '02s are the first year for the new style? I knwo the DT466 is a great engine, but is the VT365 gonna be horrible? BTW, it's the 195HP version, to which the dealer told me they couldn't just reflash it for more.

7. Stafford Landscaping

Stafford Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a S-1900 int'l with a DT466 and that engine is just about bullet proof
    wouldn't have anything else.

8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I second that !!!!!

Very durable truck. :weightlifter: :weightlifter: :weightlifter:

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you want a truck with 365 power they are maxed out in a schoolbus chassis why want one in a medium duty. Get the 466 or the 570 and be done with it never have to worry about it again.

10. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

I finally test dove this truck today, and was actually impressed. From what you guys have told me, I figured it would be gutless. Granted, it had no be on it, but it moved. Best part is the engine was updated with new rocker arms because the originals had a recall, and there is a warranty on the engine til 10/09 or 250,000 miles. BTW, it has a little over 157,000 on it. Drove straight, stopped good. It's no DT466, but seems like a good buy for a used truck. I just can't pony up for a brand new truck now. Dealer is easy going, and the other guys seems good, too. For around $25,500 how does this truck sound.