1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Interview question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Edgewater, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have any specific questions that they find are very effective when conducting interviews?

I always meet with people face to face, that is how I get a general feel for who has the right attitude and who will learn well.

Just wondering what some of your favorite questions are? I am talking about lawn crew and landscape installers here, not managers or office workers.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Can I call your references? Usually the BSers get nervous at this one. Although nowadays that is very common anyways. I also tell them that we sometimes work 7 days a week to see if their response is motivated. We dont usually work 7 days, but if they dont like the thought of that then they probably dont love their line of work and wont even show up for 5. Basically I ask for specifics as far as experience, names, and references. I would like to see what others say.
  3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I always give them situations and ask them what would they do.. But I hire service techs for irrigation. I am a fan of a probation period also.
  4. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

This is one question I have been asked in an interview...

Why is a man hole cover round?
  5. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

when i worked for the city, i sat on interview panels (and we had to be certified to sit on the panel) we would ask question like
    1. Describe a time you .... and how you fixed the problem.

always ask for a time and how did you fix or solve the problem. if you have to probe for more than 3 questions to get the answer you want, then end the interview or finish the interview and mark them off your list, because they are not going to think outside the box and not perform to your standards and you are going to hold thier hand all day till you get rid of them.
  6. B & B Yardscape

B & B Yardscape LawnSite Member

pinto n mwr: Because they are heavy and they need to be rolled. And a circle won't fall through the hole like a square would.

Did I get the job?

I like what shovelracer said. Tell them the work is harder and will require more of their time and see the reaction.
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Assuming your hiring labor guys or even crew chiefs, do you check any myspace pages or similar accounts (myspace, facebook etc) for content prior to hiring them?
  8. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Do you have a pulse.
  9. Do you have a license, and when is your next court date.
  10. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Because the hole is round.