1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Interview questions

Discussion in 'Employment' started by matt25738, Jul 20, 2012.

1. matt25738

matt25738 LawnSite Member

What kind of questions do you ask when interviewing potential employees? Do you conduct multiple interviews or just one? Over the phone or in person? I'm in the process of hiring my first full time employee. I've got about 10 candidates that I'm in the process of narrowing down based on resume.
  2. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

Have it in person...Make them come to you! (First Test!)
    -If they dot show up or they're not on time...Maybe they're not the right candidate.

Pre interview/Phone interview:
    Make sure they have experience and get the places they have worked at. Ask they why they were dismissed. Criminal record? Means of Transportation? Is he a Family Man? (Gotta pickup his kids at 3:30 everyday, or Babysit on a Regular basis,etc)

Just a few questions i could think of off the top of my head...
  3. DavidsonLandscaping

DavidsonLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

sounds bad, but learnd this from my boss. pay attention to work history, how often they change jobs, someone whos always looking over the fence will leave as soon as a better situation arrives. and never take them back because it will happen again. also never hire someone thats over qualified for the job. dont know what i mean? look at where all the collage kids are stuck working today.
    i would also ask about any phyiscal issuses that might be a problem. i.e. back, shoulder, knee problems that might restrict them from preforming daily tasks.
  4. matt25738

Does anyone here check criminal record and references?? I know in our industry your going to find a lot of people with priors, so how do you go about doing background checks?? I have too many high end properties that I can't risk something happening.
  5. matt25738

Also, if anyone would be willing to share their employee application, I would appreciate it. I'm fixing to write my own and want to make sure I cover everything.
  6. ghunter502

ghunter502 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Yes we run full background check, check references, and drug test as well. We do alot of work for high end residential and commercial can't afford to have any shady employee's
  7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of questions that some people don't think of are:

"Do you melt in the rain?"
    "Are you smart enough to bring enough water when it's hot?"
    "Can you handle being reprimanded for trivial things?"
    "Do you have a problem with authority?"
    "Are you willing to better yourself, push yourself, and gain more responsibility by going out of your comfort zone to learn new skills to earn more money and lead employees quietly and professionally?"
  8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I would add to the list "are you scared of a shovel?"
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. branchoutshrub

branchoutshrub LawnSite Member

A great question to ask is "What three words best describe you as a person."
  10. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Lot's of good questions have been mentioned. Definitely have 3 interviews and all in person if at all possible. See their demeanor - positive attitudes are huge. Ask them how they will help the business be profitable? Why are they the one for the job? Put together a few customer scenarios and pretend you are the customer and get their reaction. The more similar their values are in line with yours, the better it will work.