interviewing a contractor, what the customer sees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 12, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this week i've had the opportunity to see exactly what the client sees, as he calls and meets with different lawnboys about signing up for a program. how, you may ask? well, i shopped for a painter for interior work at my house. i figured it was similar to the lawn field in that the painting business has a low startup cost, no licensing, and very little skill required. what i saw, was a nightmare. i bet our customers go thru the same crap during thier interview proccess with lawnboys. i called a bunch of them from the paper, and yellow pages. most didn't call back. the ones that did call back, half never showed up, some quote on the phone, the ones that did: alot of them quote by room, without even looking at the house. one quote was, "$500 per room, AND I had to supply paint,brushes, rollers, and tarps, and cover anything i didn't want painted." another guy:" $150 per room, same thing on the supplies." i went through quite a few, and i'll tell you the skill /experience level went from none at all, to "i am the 3rd generation in my family to do this for a living." one thing they had in common was using the words **** and **** at least once in every sentence. i couldn't narrow it down, so i just hired the guy that had the most teeth. now i see what the customer sees, when they call services for estimates, and i won't blame them ever again for being scheptical. it was scary. there was no consistancy whatsoever in pricing, or procedure

watch your language

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u slacker u could have painted the house this winter instead of what if post bobby
    u r 2 funny

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i think NORM from cheerer's needs a job

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately, that's how the "service industry" is...from one spectrum to the other (and God only knows what's in between).

5. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I have been doing both sides of the business for years! what I mean is my construction end of the business requires the use of many sub contractors and unfortunately it is horrible to have to depend on some of these guy's showing up half of the time, I sometimes feel like I am running a day care center dealing with a bunch of immature moron's day after day!

6. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Lol @ painter with the most teeth. True very true. I've seen some pretty scraggly ones. How about .30 cents a sq. ft. I'll supply all the materials, you just supply the paint? That's what it should be. Oh and the ones that never showed up were prolly really hungover.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

me? paint? i need my rest

8. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

You would'nt want to over work that typing hand for lawnsite LOL

9. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

So the moral of this thread is to have good teeth...

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

So image is everything then?