Interviewing prospective employees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mowmasteruk, Nov 10, 2005.

1. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

If you were interviewing a prospective employee for lawn and gardening work, what sort of questions would you ask them?

2. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Can you tell time because we start @ 6:30am. Do you have transportation to get to work every day. Do you have a DL? Is it clean? We are drug free work place, can you pass the peeeeeee test. If the first 2 don't get them usually the last one does. Good Luck!:D

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'd ask them if they have any common sense...:D Not that you'd get a truthful answer.

The college kid I hired over the summer, he sounded very nice and respectful when I interviewed him over the phone. And he WAS nice and respectful on the job...but couldn't come in on time, didn't want to work in the heat, and so on and so forth. Plus he couldn't mow a lawn to save his life.

I should've realized there were problems on the horizon, I had met with him a couple days before he started. He asked a lot of questions like "Are you flexible? Can I start later, like 10am?" and "What if I want (not need) to get off early?" All the signs of trouble were there from the start.

You can learn a lot about a potential employee by just engaging in random conversation with them.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when I hired employees I went through a 3 step process.

1. Reviewed their resume
    2. Had them answer approx 20 to 50 questions (that I got online). The answers had to be written
    3. Then finally had an interview with them, questioning them about the answers to the questions and their resume

5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I always schedule interviews for first thing in the morning. At least half will be late or not show up. This half is automatically eliminated from consideration.

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

find out if they have any family problems or physical limtations like a bad back . also do they have enough money to get by until the first payday , if they dont they will be hitting you up about wed . for lunch money .

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I start by just talking to them, what have you been doing for work, do you have family, what do you do for fun, just ice breaker stuff then I explain how my company works and if they are still interested I have them take the test. I noticed a few years ago that the local irrigation house always seemed to get good employees so I asked them their secret. No secret they said, they started with a timed IQ test had to have a minimum score to be hired, started everybody at 8.00 per hour and they got employee health insurance after 90 day probationary period. I have to think a big plus was that the company had the opportunity for advancement, not just to the rider mower but into management. A good employee isn't going to want to cut grass all his life no matter how much you pay them.

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

are you potty trained?

9. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

This is one question I did't ask, but interviewed a prospect today using many of the questions suggested by you all. His profile ticks all the boxes and he looks likely to be the one for us, however we have two more to see on Monday. Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

10. do you have a license and have you any court dates coming up.