1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Interviews

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by parkeeee, Aug 14, 2006.

1. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

It has been approximately 14 years since I've had to go to an interview. Although I can retire in exactly 2 months, I decided to go for an upper management position.

Doing searches on interviewing skills gave me tips along with my wife doing rehearsal interview scenarios. While I do very well one on one, I do not prefer to be the center of attention.

I was able to avert they're eyes off of me by handing out an 'updated' resume in case that "I might gloss over some of my accomplishments".

The only answer that I am second guessing at the moment is that I made the statement that I am not a yes person, that if I do not believe in the direction that we are moving that I will debate my position, but in the end the boss is the boss.

We'll see how well the panel thought that I did. I'm glad it's over.

:weightlifter:

2. MLawns

MLawns LawnSite Member

Good luck!

3. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

Parkee-

As you know I just went through the same process, it is rough.
    I approached from the point of view that I already had a good job, so if I got it great, if not oh well.

If you get it how much longer will you work, since you were so close to retirement?

4. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

The yearly salary jump would be 3500 - 5500. The longer I work, the bigger my pension becomes. I am in the 2% multiplier. Currently I have 25 years, which means that if I leave in 2 months I would get 50% of my salary based on the three highest years.

There is another benefit to staying. There is a computation whereby I can go back to the date that I could have retired and take a lump sum. If I would stay another 10 years, it would be approximately 500K, besides a monthly pension.

5. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

10 years is an awful long time!

6. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

Did you end up taking the job?

I'm kind of putting the cart in front of the horse, I have not been offered the promotion.

I know that this is not original, but time just seems to go faster and faster. Maybe in 10 years I could be a bronze member of LawnSite! lol