Intimidated.........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jul 18, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Checked out three lawns to bid on today. One is a friend and the other are her two next door neighbors. These lawns are gorgeous, lush, thick, dark green, beautiful landscaping etc. Current lawn service charges $25 (I think it's to low) to m/t/b but my friend is not real happy with him says he doesn't trim too well. I did see quite a few places he missed.

Friend says her husband is real picky (he had his whole front lawn re-sodded because it wasn't think enough)!

Here's my dilemma:

I'm not so sure the cut from my tractor (JD LX-176) is going to make him happy. It has a decent cut but nowhere near the Exmarks, Ferris's etc.

It would be crazy to go buy a nice ZTR just starting out but on the other hand, if the tractor is holding me up from getting accounts, what good is that? And now with the smoke coming from the engine, I don't know what to do.

As usual, looking for advice from the "big guys & girls"

Joel B.

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive used a murray lt and got a real smooth cut. if i hadnt, i would not have used it at all. not tryin to talk u into a murray. just sayinig if your machine wont leave a good cut,u need to change mowers .thats just a basic necessity . imho

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

If you are not confident in your machine.. you should seriously consider buying yourself a nice walkbehind if you can swing it. If you want to compete with the big boys.. you need big boy equipment!

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If you dont want to lay down the money for a new ztr, consider getting rid of your john deere and getting a nice 52 or 60 inch walk behind. you will gain a lot more productivity and get the quality cut your looking for.

5. tlcservices

tlcservices LawnSite Member
    from fl

this is too dang funny. u are kidding i hope?

6. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

If your just getting started, u have crawl before u walk. Do it step by step. If you think ur ready for a new mower, then I would suggest a walk behind (commercial brand). But if your starting to make good money on your lawns then see what kind of rider is in your budget. I know everyone will back me up on this.. you've got to spend it to make it. It is the god's honest truth. And with a mower smoking its only a matter of time before it leaves u high and dry and then you'll really feel some pressure and jump at the first thing available. Do whats right for u and your biz.

7. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Why did they ask for a bid from you in the first place if you dont think you do quality work? If they seen your other work they probbly likeit and just give them a little higher bid, and as soon as i could I would get a nice red walkbehind...

8. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya A Nice RED ONE

9. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Can U purchase an Electric one?? With a smooth cut?;)

10. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Joel,

I humped it with a $700 Lawn Boy commercial 21" for a Summer to pay for the Exmark I still use.

Metro WB's are around 3K at A-1 in Corcoran, on Bass Lk Rd