1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Intro from Lawn Pro of Clarksville, TN

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn Pro of Clarksville, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Lawn Pro of Clarksville

Lawn Pro of Clarksville LawnSite Member

Hello to all...
    First I want to say that this is a great site w/ excellent information. I'm thankful that the guys who have been doing this business for awhile are willing to "give back" to the up and comers like myself. Thanks fellas.

Me... I retired from active duty Army about 4.5 yrs ago and did contracting overseas for 4 yrs. I was able to pay a lot of bills off and save some money... if I was single I would still be there. The wife wanted me home and I wanted to be home also. I wasn´t looking forward to the 9 to 5 thing and really wanted to be my own boss. I always enjoyed taking care of my own lawn and helped out my neighbors when needed.

After reading through this forum and others like it, I decide to go in business for myself. I purchased a 6x10 trailer, Hustler Fastrak Z turn mower, a cheap 21¨push mower, Robin 4cycle trimmer, edger and blower. I got a business license and a general liability insurance policy. I designed my own logo and got magnets for my truck and got a nice sign for my trailer.

As far as clients go... I started slow a couple of weeks ago but it is definately picking up. Right now, Craigslist and getting out and knocking on doors seems to work well.

I have a couple of teenage sons whom I have recruited to help me this summer. I´m looking at it as a way to rebond after being gone for so much over their lifetime. Of course they are looking at it as a way to make some money. It´s a ¨win win¨situation for me.

I´m no professional at this now and the learning curve is steep. I live in a large military town with 80% of the military population deployed. My biggest weakness... in a business sense... is when a young wife of a deployed Soldier calls me and asks me for an estimate I give her the going rate for our community but normally they balk at that tell me they are going to get another estimate. I always lower my price and bust my ass and ¨go the extra mile¨to do a good job... sometimes spending 2 times the time on their jobs that I would others. If they remain the majority of my clients then my stay in this business will be a short one....LOL. I´m hoping to get a LOT of word of mouth referrals from them.

Still....I am enjoying what I do....

I look forward to future discussions with the members here.

Respectfully,
    Brian

2. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

welcome brain

yea clarksville a big town of military people. good luck with your business and hope you get enough yards.

mike

3. Lawn Pro of Clarksville

Lawn Pro of Clarksville LawnSite Member

Mike,
    Thanks for the welcome

Brian

4. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

welcome to the site. i cut in white house, tn and it is indeed hard to get alot of yards here because everybody and their brother is cutting yards these days.

5. hef37087

hef37087 LawnSite Member

Question for fellow Tennesseans...I work part time landscaping and just started mowing a few yrds this year. I work for $30/hr. Is that low or average here. I was told average was 30-45?????