introducing my new lawn!!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by blackthumb, Jun 11, 2004.

1. blackthumb

blackthumb LawnSite Member

I'm so happy to say that we've done it!!

Our lawn is spectacular and I'm coming back here after so many weeks to say thank you for the help I got here before I even started all this hard work.

It took forEVER to de-weedify my yard and I did all that with minimal help from anybody. It was very hard and I could have hired someone to do it all for us but I'm glad I did it on my own (my husband helped but not so much)

On monday we ordered 3000sq feet of sod and installed it between myself, my husband and his dad, it took us 4 and a half hours to get it all in and 2 more days for me to patch up holes here and there because I did that on my own.

anyway. here are some before and after pictures of the yard.

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

More pictures here

2. blackthumb

oh!! and I left out some details.

I put in palmetto st. augustinegrass and have been watering the lawn for a total of about 4 hours a day. (2 sprinkler zones back there 2 hours per zone twice a day)

the weather here now is rediculously hot so I wonder If I should do it more. One morning I forgot to have it turned off and one of the zones ran for 5 hours straight from 7am to noon. That evening the lawn looked great. It literally grew about an inch that day if I had to guess.

I was told by one of the nurseries I called for quotes that June was a bad time to lay sod and if we did anyway, that we should spray with an antifungal in 3? (i forget) weeks..

Can anybody tell me if this is true?

thanks,
    -T

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I've never had a fungal problem in this summer heat. Our last job got 28 pallets, and they all are fine. Was centipede though, so maybe someone else could give you better advice on that.

Your yard looks wonderful! Very nice indeed.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

First off it looks like you had no lawn in the before pics..............
    Looks good now that you actually have a lawn!
    As for the watering,I don't know what kind of soil you have down there but I'd guess it's kind of sandy and doesn't hold much moisture?
    That much water up here would drown a lawn.
    The antifungal is probably a good idea with all the moisture you are adding,it is a fungal smorgasboard.
    Hopefully someone from the sunshine state will be able to steer you better with more intelligent info for your area.
    Enjoy the new patch of turf!

5. blackthumb

yeah, it's mostly sand and otherwise very loose. Since I got rid of the weeds, the sand factor inside the house was quite a problem thanks to the dogs.

so when do you think I should treat w/ fungal ? The people who sold me the sod said it was treated with something but I can't remember what. He blurted out some numbers to me something40seomthing. I can't remember exactly.