1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing The Chilehead Theft Protection System

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by Chilehead, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Greetings, people. It's been forever since I've been on here. Had a really busy season. Anyway, some time ago I posted about my efforts to invent a theft protection system for trailers that would involve an alarm sounding the instant someone touches it.
    Well I've outdone myself with something that I did not invent, but works wonderfully (so I will not take credit). How many of you know what a capacitor is? For those of you who don't, a capacitor looks like a small battery and stores a charge like one too. However, unlike a battery it releases it's charge completely and instantly. If the charge is released into an individual (READ: Thief) it will give quite a shock, and if over 300 milliamps--it can kill.
    So guess what I did? I outfitted my trailer, equipment, and storage shed with these devices like crazy. I got mine for free from people giving away broken PCs on Craigslist. I simply disconnected them from the motherboards. I found it best to charge them with wire lead extensions connected to rechargeable 9V batteries. Just be careful not to overcharge the capacitors, or you risk having them explode.:drinkup:

2. MAD whacker

MAD whacker LawnSite Member

sounds like a lawsuit. think about the children. . .

3. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

garenteed lawsuit

4. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

9V? Seriously?!? Yes, a capacitor can put out a lot of current in a short burst, but 9V isn't going to hurt anyone unless they lick your trailer.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

hmm.. explain more...

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Oh jeez. We did this as a practical joke back in the 70's in shop class. Charging a condenser from a points type ignition. Then you toss it to your buddy. Gives a little jolt, but really just pizzes you off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. IES

IES LawnSite Senior Member

A buddy and I were playing with the capacitor that come in the disposable camera for the flash. It charges off a AA batt but puts out a burst of 330 volts. And can attest that it will make you jump. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 LawnSite Senior Member

instead, get the door to automatically close behind them when they enter the trailer, automatically lock and everything (like a safe, but not as heavy). An alarm rings on your phone, computer, house, whatever. Get ur machine gun you keep under your bed, and get outside to have a friendly chat with the man