Introduction and Briggs issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Rob K77, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Rob K77

Rob K77 LawnSite Member

Hello all,

New to the board, seems very informative thus far.

I have a 14 HP B&S Motor, Model 287707.

It was running a little low on oil and I topped it off with 10w30 on two different occasions, maybe 6-8 oz. of 10w30 total. Recently it started blowing oil into the air filter area and stalled the engine. It's coming out of the hose that comes from the breather. I changed the oil, ran straight 30 weight this time, and it's still blowing oil. Is the breather assembly bad or can it be cleaned or do I have a different problem?

Thanks,

Rob

2. Ru55ell

Ru55ell LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I think you have too much oil in it.

3. Rob K77

Rob K77 LawnSite Member

I'm positive it's not over filled. I only wish that was the problem.

4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

You have a leaking head gasket leaking compression from the cylinder into the push rod cavity. This pressurizes the crankcase and blows oil out the crankcase vent into the air filter.Guaranteed.Been there , fixed that.(same engine)

5. gm3100

gm3100 LawnSite Member

I had similar situation using multi viscosity engine oil. Quickly went back to straight 30wt. and the problem went away.
    Also, verify dipstick o-ring is not damaged or pinched.
    I have had many of these engines over the years and only time i saw these issues was for the causes listed above. Besides it is cheap to change the oil and be sure.

myles

6. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Excuse me?;)
    Is there any chance that you could somehow send supporting documentation for your observation?

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Yah, those briggs single OHV engines will do that. Although I have not seen this stall the engine. Usually it will just turn the engine into a mosquito fogger ;)

Do a leakdown test and see what you come up with...

8. gm3100

gm3100 LawnSite Member

the only thing i could find to support my seemingly wrong response is a bulletin number 669, date 2/19/98, Within the power portal at briggs network.

although it does not specify the model number listed, it does explain faulty o-rings as a misdiagnoses for failed engines.

I typically don't document my observations as Thoreau may have . A forum is supposed to be a place to exchange ideas and work through problems together, what worked for me is what I was posting. So "excuse me" and have a nice day.

9. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, welcome to the forum.
    Thoreau is one of my main 19th century heroes, behind William Herschel, astronomer extraordinaire. You could not have picked a better comparison.
    Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, just like to learn whenever and wherever possible. I have been doing this, shade tree level only, for a long time and have never heard of a substantiated conflict arising from the switch to multi grade lube.
    Tried to find the bulletin you referred to but did not go crazy doing so. Send me a link, and _you_ have a nice day.

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Are you an Authorized Briggs dealer? If not, you won't be able to access the link at the Powerportal.com .

And even if you CAN access it, the shitty way that Briggs screwed everything up when they moved everything to thepowerportal.com makes it almost impossible to find SB 669 now.