1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Intrusive Grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by davefromnh, Jul 3, 2004.

1. davefromnh

davefromnh LawnSite Member

About 5 years ago, I installed my lawn, seeding with Lesco Premium Fairway & Athletic mixture (Lesco Item 056497). I do not know the exact makeup, but I believe that the mixture contains a high % of Kentucky Bluegrass (2 varieties), and what looks like "Legacy II Perrenial Ryegrass".

All was well the first and second years. The third year, I covered the rip rap in the drainage ditch alongside the road with a non-woven filter fabric, then loam from a known source, and then some of the leftover seed. I later noticed that the grass in that area was light green (as opposed to darker green, with the bluegrass), the blades were finer, and the growth more dense.

The different color/texture was irritating, but did not rise to the top of the list. Over the last 2-3 years however, that patch has spread, and I have now noticed small patches of that lighter, finer and denser turf scattered about my lawn.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong, and how to fix it?
  2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Sounds like large crabgrass has invaded your lawn and when mowing you're spreading it.
    If it is large crabgrass,apply a preemergent in the spring.Large crabgrass produces seed heads similar to bermuda,only there are about 7-9 spikes of seeds at the top.It only seeds a few times a season,but that's plenty.
    It's a tough weed to control,but you being in a northern zone should be able to re seed with fescue and then apply a preemergent before the soil temps warms to 65 degrees.
  3. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Doesn't sound like crabgrass to me. You'd better hope its not creeping bentgrass! :eek: You need to control it now. Round-up and re-seed.