1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Invaluable tool for any LCO

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by LawnTamer, Feb 4, 2006.

1. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Hey I've been having some fun in the shop this winter and was thinking of how invaluable my little welder has been for my business, mostly because it keeps me from hanging around the house and bugging my wife all winter. I thought I'd post some pics of some of the more useful things I've built for the mowing rig.
    All these are easy things, I don't have any fancy tools, just a grinder.

Here is a spring loaded trimmer rack Sorry the picture isn't very good

An easy gate assist, for about $20 at HD (my spring assisted 'gate weight' is about 10 lbs)

We always carry full bags through gates on the deck (who wants to carry a 60# bag to the truck?)but they would fall off or roll into the exhuast so I built these brackets. The exhaust bracket is attatched to the catcher plate so if we are not bagging it's not there.

The bottom bracket is hinged so it just flips up when changing blades or working on the deck.

Here's a real easy way to secure a ZTR or WB. The hinge just flips over the front caster, it's just a bent piece of 3/8 roll bent and welded to a hinge.

Line spool holder

I also build my own sulkies

6 gal electric sprayer w/20' hose
    I'm sure there are people here who are better fabricators but I have found all these little things very helpful, Plus I have a nice side deal building custom benches in the winter & I build my own spray equipment.
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Great design on your lift gate. If I could make one suggestion put your spring inside some pipe to keep it protected and keep it from pinching anyone. Also if it snaps it wont fly and hit someone.
  3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Nice little creations you got there. I too love creating my own little tools and such. I taught myself how to weld and have been welding all sorts of things together for the past few years. They are great for making repairs too. I even built a heavy duty landscape trailer with my dad. Diamond plate floor and everything.
  4. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Got to love a welder.:blob4: Any pics of the bag on the deck? I'd like to see how it sits on the deck. Oh, and great job on everything.
  5. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

What gauge did you use on the line holder? And also, did you just weld that right to the trailer at the base, or did you make some kind of reinforced base before you welded it to the trailer box? Great ideas.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

UM what kinda mower is that. I've never seen that name before
  7. LawnTamer

It's a Toro T-bar, a 2000 with well over 2,000hrs we started calling it the "old Man" so when the Proline sticker wore off I painted Gamli on which is Icelandic for old one, or old man. (I used to live in Iceland).
    The line holder uses 1/2 cold roll.
    And that's a great idea to put the springs in tubes.
  8. LawnTamer

Oh, I'll get pics of the mower with bag on the deck, My wife is at a gymnastics tournament w/ my daughter and has the digital. So it won't be today. Sorry
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Very nice job. And you are so right, a welder, and the ability to turky turd welds that hold (LOL) makes a difference - you may be a very good welder, I was just kidding on the turky deal.. Nice pics, and keep it going.
  10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

This guy is a genius. I have had him do all of my work for me over the years, and his welding ideas and skills seem to be increasing exponentially!!

Maybe if we all had the kind of marriage that kept us in the garage all winter...haha.

(Actually, he's married to my sister...)