1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Invent your dream 21" mower. . .

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sethsodsquad, Nov 24, 2004.

1. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

I was just wondering - if you could make a 21" mower what would it be like?

Deck design
    Engine size/type
    Self-propelled type/or model

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have my dream 21", it's the Honda HRX w/ the versamow system. I love everything about that mower. 3-speed transmission, micro mulch, xenoy deck that never has anything stick to it, well thought out bagger w/ large opening, very easy to push, and a very quiet 6.5HP Honda engine.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

my dream 21" mower would be about 48" wide and have about a 17-19 KAW motor.

and that 21" would probably be a hydro as well.

4. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

All this but with pivoting front spindles.
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

The best 21" would be exactly like the Honda HRC216HXA (Commercial Hydrostatic) except the deck would be made out of that Xenoy alloy stuff so that it wasn't so dang heavy.
  6. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The HRX 217 HXA Honda is the same mower as described above, but uses a hydrostat transmission , and has a blade brake/clutch to stop only the blade - not kill the engine when you let go of the handle bar.

Although these mowers are NOT as bone tough as the Honda commercial mowers , they also cost $300 to $400 less to buy.

The HRX models are the best cutting, or mulching mowers I have ever run. This deck design, with the infinitely adjustable baffle gate has put these mowers on a whole new level that nothing else comes close to, even other Hondas.
  7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

One of the best 21" mowers I had was a Homelite/Jacobsen that I bought about 15 years ago. 4hp two stroke, lightweight aluminum deck, not self-propelled to save weight. One of the lightest mowers I've ever used. Simple and powerful.
  8. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Any non KAW engine for a start.
  9. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto.. all of this plus a computer command center with laser guides, cameras so you can drop it off at a yard, go eat lunch and come back and pick it up with the yard being done. Puts a new twist on "self propelled" :p
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i'll agree with that.

i would say the perfect unit would be the honda motor/clutch/transmission combo on the toro deck/frame. The snapper commercial line had a one lever height adjustment. all 4 wheels adjusted at the same time.

That's a must.

i likes the angled top handle on the honda, but disliked the 2 piece design, so i would want a one piece.

pressure lubrication is awesome for slopes as well.