inverting deck lights

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Pro-Scapes, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I need to add some light to a wall...Its very short (5 ft) with an overhang and sofit. The owners would like it uplit like the rest of the house.

The area under the wall is concrete. There is a wooden planter box about 5 inches out from the wall. I could get enough space between the base of the wall and the concrete to tuck my wires in to run them 10 ft to a bed where I have my existing hub/ pathlights.

I heard somewhere someone used a deck light inverted as a wall sconce but I wonder if it would be feesible in this application. I would mount them about 4- 6 inches above the concrete with masonry anchors in the brick wall. We set some mr 16 fixtures back there and the its just way over powering.

Any other suggestions? Will try and get pics when we go back tmrw.

2. Firefly Lighting

Firefly Lighting LawnSite Member

Billy- My only concern with inverting deck lights is with water, the fixtures that have glass covers will most likely leak over time and corrode the socket. What about some wall washers mounted on the back of the planter boxes?

3. Pro-Scapes

no room really... its more like 3-4 inches. With the wall washes I have used you would have the lens right aginst the wall in this application.

I was concerned about the water in em thats why i posted this. Even tho they are under an eve of the home they will still be 5 ft below the eve. Little wind and you could get water on them. Wasnt sure if someone knew of a deck light that wouldnt leak in this application. Im just not thrilled with how the tree light is working. Im almost glad the client is picky in this situation and is letting me demo diff ways of doing it. Its helping me to learn to light a tricky area.

4. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

If water is the issue in the bottom of the fixture just drill out the bottom with a 1/4" hold. The use some nonelectric gel (I can't remember the name of it) in the sockets.

5. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Billy,

Vista makes a small bullet you can put a 10 watt bi-pin in it that might work.
    You can also look at the SBJ fixture and the Evening lights version that Chuck has that takes a MR-8 . The MR-8's are not as robust a lamp as the GU4 Bi-pin though. Not sure if Kichler has anything, maybe Paul would know.

SamIV
    Accent Outdoor Lighting

6. Pro-Scapes

Thanks Guys. I gotta hit Chucks shop this morning anyways for 2 more Mushrooms so I will pick one up to try out.