Invest in your business

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by High Performance Lighting, Jun 10, 2007.

1. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

There has been more than one post that I've read where someone has said that they demo with generic off brand fixtures but offer a quality brand name product to install with their system. I don't understand this logic. If I'm looking at a demo and a serious buyer then I want to see the actual fixture/effect I'm going to get. In my mind I'm going to be thinking this guy wants me to buy his fixtures yet he's too cheap to invest in them. I'm all for using low cost ways of doing things that won't get detected and work and last but for God's sake man invest in your business!!!!:confused:

2. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

Good point and I think this thread could bring up some interesting discussions. Everyone who starts a business has a vision on where they think or want the business to go. Some might want to keep it a one or two man operation, others might want to have multiple employees..etc. Like Mike said, and I totally agree, you have to invest into your business.

We still do demos, and will probably continue to do so for awhile. We have about 3k invested in our demo kit. We use the same fixtures in our kit that we would install at the clients home. We also bring new fixtures in the box so the customer can see what exactly they will look like when first installed due to the fact that the demo fixtures (copper fixtures) already have the patina. This way the customers can see how the look of these fixtures will change after they've been weathered.

3. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

We still do demos, and will probably continue to do so for awhile. We have about 3k invested in our demo kit. We use the same fixtures in our kit that we would install at the clients home. We also bring new fixtures in the box so the customer can see what exactly they will look like when first installed due to the fact that the demo fixtures (copper fixtures) already have the patina. This way the customers can see how the look of these fixtures will change after they've been weathered.

Excellent , professionalism at it's highest level.

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I know your reffering to me on this. I do plan to change all my demo fixtures over to "real" fixtures. So far my demo fixtures have served well and it also gives me an oppurtunity to show clients the difference in grade altho it may not be the right way to do it. Our pathlighting for demos consits of a few different ones. Some Cast and some Kichler popular ones so we can show clients hands on some of the options in pathlighting.

I guess I should go ahead and order some Kichler bullets for my demo kit. I DO carry Cast and Kichler bullets and some other fixtures to show clients on sales calls. I also carry so called "top of the line" fixtures installed by reputable landscapers in my area that have failed within 2 years to show the clients.

When I purchased the Dabmar lights for my demo kit we were invested in other things. I needed a demo kit in a pinch and this fit my budget. All of us do not have 6 figure operating budgets. Come to think of it every job save 1 that I have demoed has sold. Not one prospect has ever said anything about my demo lights. If im not mistaken its actually the same spots used in the cast demo kit ?

5. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

We dont all have 6 figure operating budgets

A demo kit of fixtures used on projects costs in the 6 figures these days? Good thing I don't do demo's then. ;)

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

no but it just wasnt in our budget at the time. My situation is also completly different that anyone else I know. We just found it more important to spend our budget on other things at the time. We have slowly added to our demo kit and we will eventually replace the bullets. I am going to try and close my next 3 projects without mentioning a demo. They are coming off a refferal and all have existing lighting systems that leave much to be desired.

7. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Good post!
    I agree with showing what you will be selling. Too many options thrown at a customer may confuse them. I do understand Billy that you were pushing the effect and not the fixture ...your intentions were good. I have yet to do a demo...I have no "kit". If someone wanted me to do one I would but all I have heard so far after explaining the system, giving prices and answering questions is......."Go ahead and do what you think is best I'm sure we will like it".

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

My demo kit includes the lights we use, but I'm Curious- how many lights do you guys demo, or a better question- how many effects do you guys demo?

I've only done a few, as I'm still kinda new at this, but I basically have a few spots and a path, and I show what different bulbs do on a plant, wall, and trees, maybe climb a ladder and show a moonlight, and show the throw of a path for a walkway to get a feel for the spacing the homeowner wants.

If I see something neat I'll accent it, but I am only trying to be there an hour and a half tops. once I plug in the transformer and run the wire, I really only want to do a few lights. give them a taste, and If that don't do it, then they aint my client.

What do you guys carry and how many fixtures/effects do you show at the demo?

9. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

I have seen a couple different versions of a demo kit out here. One guy I know has about 10-12 well lights he sets out for up lighting and thats it.
    While others have a full lighting kit that has it all. The last kit I put together had 10 bullet lights and 6 path lights of different styles and sizes, all of it Cast since that is my primary manufacturer.
    I keep catalogs and product sheets for other manufacturers to show customers when we go over the final designs.

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

My demo kit consists of 12 wells, 2 different paths a bullet and a spot. all unique. i want to order a few more from kichler, and some from fx. anything to help the sell.